Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-22-2017, 04:39 PM

I've never looked through the S-Tac, but i've got 6 or 7 Sightron SII Big Sky models, mostly 4-16x and they are incredible in every regard.

Best optics I've looked through, oh, and your right on about the tracking.

(mind you, i'm a mid level optics guy.......Burris Sigs, Leupold VX3's, weaver grand slams, etc..............Sightron Beats them all for my eyes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift220 View Post
SHI.,

If you can swing $409 shipped & everything, IMO the best scope on the market without a doubt is the Sightron S-TAC MOA 5x20x50 scope. Scott from Liberty Optics will have one on your door step, direct from Sightron, for $409 total. Just got my 3rd one today and I also have 5 Sightron SIII's.

You can go to Sightron and go to S-TAC MOA then click on specs and look at the reticle. It's not super fine but just a little above. The center dot on 20x is .25 and the hash marks are very detailed and not cluttered together. It has medium capped target turrets, no need out to 600 just use the hash moa marks, and the warranty is forever.

If you've never dialed a Sightron, it's awesome. The only other scopes that will track like Sightron's will cost you 2-4 thousand dollars. The S-TAC MOA is made in the Philippines where the SIII's are Japan, reason for the cost difference. For the bucks, no other scope is even close, none.

Jim D---
SE Texas
Old 09-22-2017, 04:39 PM

[quote=varmntr;259864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
That's a nice CZ there warlock,
I have several 527s, including a .17 hornet in both varmint and American, I like the varmint better, but mine has been chopped back to 20" and now has a suppressor, great bunny gun,

OK help me here, have a 527 in 22H (LOVE IT) and was looking for my next 527 in maybe 222 or 221FB..... I shoot the 22H suppressed and very happy with results

What do I get with the 17H compared to the 22H ?? I know more velocity but what about damage distance, I use the 22H out to about 200-250 yds, what's the practical range of the 17H for varmints ? Cheaper or equal to 22H for reloading ? heard the 17 is more barrel damaging than 22H

CZ 527 varmint in 17H or rebarrel my 22H to 20AIH
Don
I'm sure an argument can be made for any and all of the above so it mostly just comes down to whatever trips your trigger.

Nearly all of my, centerfire, long guns are either Rem 700 builds or full customs. Even though they've been out for some time the CZ 527's and the 17 HH is relatively new to me.

For me, the 17 HH seemed like it would be a really fun little cartridge for shooting small critters. The fact that I could just go out and buy a really nice little factory gun that didn't cost a lot, was fairly inexpensive to shoot, had zero recoil so anyone could shoot it, and was still relatively quiet, seemed like a great combo. It's kind of like a 17 WSM on steroids but without all the inconsistencies of being a rimfire and definitely in a MUCH higher quality gun.

In all honesty, I never thought I'd enjoy shooting mine as much as I have but for me and what I use it for, it has been a great addition to my quiver and I like it so much I'm considering buying another one just like it.

Probably the best way for me to describe how/why I like my CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet so much, everything about it is just so darn easy.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 PM

SHORTSHOT,

I believe in buying a scope with "MUCHO" power. A 24x 0r 32x doesn't cost that much more.

IMO, it's like horsepower, just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. One exception is hunting dangerous game where you might have a really close charging shot.

Plus they can double as a spotting scope. With my 32x's, I can see my holes at 3-4 hundred yards.

I might put a 3x9 on a 22lr but I doubt it. I have a 12x42x56 Nightforce that I interchange with 3 long range rifles and love it even though I seldom shoot it on more than 25x. But it's there if I want to look at something at 1500 yards.

Jim D
SE Texas

Last edited by Swift220; 09-22-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 PM

I still haven't settled on a scope yet. At this point I'm still shopping and saving. I'm getting to where I'll have all winter to save to get a scope and the rest of the reloading stuff that I'll need.

I was shooting the gun this weekend and had a 3 cartridges where the primer popped, out of 10 rounds...it was factory Hornady 25gr hp ammo. I stopped shooting the gun after that. I thought the first one might be a fluke, the second one got me a little more concerned, after the 3rd one I was done. It was warm and humid, 90ish degrees with a heat index of around 100, and I was in the sun, so that may have contributed. I had shot 30 rounds of this ammo lot previously with no issues, and I have 60 rounds of this lot number left, so I'll be contacting Hornady to see what they say.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

I've been more than thrilled at the three or four times in my life when someone used their rifle scope as a spotting scope to see what I'm doing while I'm walking at 300-500+ yards distance from them............

A rifle scope is designed only to help someone shoot at things, whether the things are animate or inanimate. A spotting scope is designed to see what it is that you plan to shoot at, and then to maybe see if you hit what you were shooting at.

JMO............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 PM

BCB,

You need to get some new people to shoot with. If that happened at our range, you automatically lose membership. In fact, your not allowed at the bench or handle a firearm during a cease fire. Sounds like where you shoot, there are some very irresponsible people shooting or there are no rules and a bunch of un-sportsman like people.

If that happened to me while I was downrange, someone would be in for a beating when I got back.

Also, are you telling me you never use your scope to see where your bullets hit?

Jim D
SE Texas

Last edited by Swift220; 09-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift220 View Post
BCB,

You need to get some new people to shoot with. If that happened at our range, you automatically lose membership. In fact, your not allowed at the bench or handle a firearm during a cease fire. Sounds like where you shoot, there are some very irresponsible people shooting or there are no rules and a bunch of un-sportsman like people.

If that happened to me while I was downrange, someone would be in for a beating when I got back.

Also, are you telling me you never use your scope to see where your bullets hit?

Jim D
SE Texas
Chill......I wasn't trying to tell you anything. And you obviously missed the intent of my comment while looking over your shoulder.

Believe it or not, some of us hunt frequently with rifles in hand. I merely responded with a thought I had concerning folks using rifle scopes as spotting scopes in a HUNTING situation. It happens frequently so it's worth commenting on occasionally. If just one person who read my comment recognizes what they might be doing, another person might not get shot "acidentally".

I recognized that you were talking about a rifle range situation. What you do at your range is fine with me. At the three ranges I shoot at, what you surmised as happening would never be allowed since everyone has to either go behind a physical barrier (a low fence) or they can go down range at designated times when all rifles are lying on the benches with bolts/actions open or they are placed in standing gun racks near the low fence with the bolts/actions open. Two of the three ranges allow people to go down range and look at their targets at "Cease Fire" times. The third range only allows range personnel to go downrange, but they cheerfully will pull your target for you and replace it with a new target if you ask while they are downrange and you are standing well behind the shooting line of benches with any and all weapons secured to their satisfaction before they go downrange.

I'm fine where I shoot so please don't worry about me any further as to whether I shoot at a safe rifle range or not, or with safe people or not...... And I still don't like folks using rifle scopes as spotting scopes in a hunting situation. Or did I miss the true intent of your comment, too?

As an aside, I use a spotting scope to look at targets I shoot at ranges. But that's just me. What you do where you shoot that is range acceptable is not even on my radar.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-26-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

shot a one hole group today with my 17 hornet, easy to do when only one bullet makes it to the target. I'm guessing the rest blew up in route. 17 gr vmax at 4050 fps. guess those 17 hmr bullets are a little too thinned jacketed..