Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 AM

Default No.3's

Always glad to read about someone using a No.3 as a PD rifle. We're kind of a small fraternity. Looks great and as we know they will shoot with a good barrel and a little tweaking. I've had two No.3's in .22 KHornet and the .20 Ackley Hornet will have the advantage of more speed with the 32gr bullets. I don't know what trigger you have, but I sure like the Kepplinger set triggers I have in mine. I also like No.1 wood on mine, two out of three anyway.

The one on the right has a PacNor 11 tw barrel. Shoots 39 SBK's in the .3's at 4000 fps.
Have a great time out West, I'm not going to be able to go for the third year in a row, really miss it, maybe next year.
Dave
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Supporting Member

Been a real fun time working on the .20 Ackley Hornets together even though we took different angles of attack to solve the same problem.
Yours is a purty Rifle that really shoots! Hopefully mine will really be a rifle that shoots purty .
Once again I took the path of least resistance, A CZ 527 Varmint with some action work, pillar bedding and and a new heavier than factory contour Pac-Nor Super Match 3 groove satin finish Stainless.
I've been busy forming brass for a fire-form gopher load while breaking in the barrel using the scientific "garage log technique" . So far I fired one shot and cleaned using colloidal graphite for the first 5 shots and later this evening I fired my first 3 shot string and so far not one hint of blue whatsoever even after long periods of soaking with Shooter Choice MC7 followed by drying and an alcohol cleaning then a 20 minute soak with Sweets, "Zero Blue", period!
I think it's time to mount the scope I found I'd forgotten in the closet that started this whole program for me, then develop a fire-form load, a little sight in and down to some serious rat smackage !!
My rifle will never be as purty as yours is Larry but hopefully if I can shoot the little buggers from far enough away they'll never know the difference .

P.S.
Dave I gotta agree with ya, while I've never owned a Ruger Number 1, 2 or 3, I do have a Kepplinger single set trigger on a Remington 700 Varmint that is chambered in .20 Tactical and it sure is a fine trigger IMO!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. It is a fun project and I'm glad it seems to be turning out well. I'm glad to share it with the group, I've learned a lot here from all of you.

Dave, I do enjoy the No 3 action although they can offer a challenge. You have got some seriously beautiful rifles there! Congratulations. Sounds like they shoot as well as they look. I'm using the factory trigger,not the lightest pull but ok for a field gun.
Funny you mention a " little tweaking". Doug can attest I was not the happiest camper after my first range trip. Although primarily a " shoot and clean " session I had seen indications of the dreaded vertical stringing malady. Turns out I had pressure on one side of the barrel channel, a little tweaking and subsequent groups are looking better.

Doug, I think your chosen CZ platform should result in a VERY accurate piece. I too noticed how smooth the barrel seems, but this is my first PacNor, while I know you buy them in bundles. Since I don't have a garage log my load development may be slower than yours. Can't wait to see some range results.
Best
Larry
Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Have you's guys tried just loading a proper bullet in the 20AH and shooting.

The AH 17 don't need a dedicated "fire form" exercise to shoot good.

Just form and kill in the same operation.

Beautiful rifle larry. Nice wood and nice job. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Supporting Member

Hi Kenny, yes, all my forming has been just neck to 20 with a crush fit on the false shoulder and shoot at about 3050 fps. Have formed about 80 this way just in break in and sight in with no lost cases. I will also be forming some cases using the technique Doug has used.

I am using WW cases,WSR primers,and 32 Vmax. I've been using Lilgun to form but will probably use A1680 for formed cases. I haven't done any serious load development yet, as my priority is loading about 400 fire forming loads for a gopher and PD trip in a couple weeks. I'm with you, much better to form in a PD town

I did a little experiment because of the brass shortage. I took a hand press and gear to the range. I used 6 cases, 3 annealed, 3 not. After fire forming they were all reloaded 11 times each at approx 3300 fps. All primer pockets stayed tight and were usable at the end. I could feel the necks work harden at about 5 firings and that would have been the place to anneal if possible. Certainly not very scientific but makes me feel like the brass may hold up acceptably.

Upon my return from the fire forming trip I hope to do some more serious load work.
Larry
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
Have you's guys tried just loading a proper bullet in the 20AH and shooting.

The AH 17 don't need a dedicated "fire form" exercise to shoot good.

Just form and kill in the same operation.

Beautiful rifle larry. Nice wood and nice job. Kenny
Some of my best groups came from fireforming Kenny. But since I have form dies that originated from making 17 Jet brass from 357 Max can and do it both ways. I've never shot a cornmeal load yet, those PDs just don't know the difference. Once formed I seldom lose a case.

Sometime start out with 2 cases same length. Neck them down both ways and see what the length is on both cases.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:13 AM

Default 20 ackley

I have 2 Ackley hornets MINE ARE ON CZ 527S I split playing cards with mine at 100yds 5shots. hornady 32gr. z max . 15 grs. AA 2200, Remington case, it holds the most powder, wolf mag primer,stay with 2200 low pressure, primer pockets last forever. I use a pac nor or x caliber barrel 11 twist 3 or 4 tapper. Good luck Dave
Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 PM

I know this is an older thread, but the title snagged my attention. During the winter doldrums a few years ago, I put together a 17AH on an old No.3 that I had laying around.

Pac-Nor SS Super Match turned to the original No.3 contour, 10T, 22" bbl, blueprinted action with a trigger machined by the builder, Broad Creek Rifle Works in DE. He's reputed to be a No.1 and No.3 master, and with the addition of a B&C synthetic stock (No.1 someday ) it shoots very well, and is a joy to carry about in the low hills that surround a few of my favorite alfalfa fields.

Won't win a beauty contest, but she shoots.

This was a 10-shot target shot when fireforming the first time out:

The 20gr V-Max over A1680 seems effective on the grass rats out to just over 400 yards, IF the morning breeze has not kicked in yet. My field load runs right at 3,860 fps, and works quite well on our rodent buddies.

I'm always on the lookout for these rifles, and if I can find another, it will be a 20AH without doubt! Maybe even with No.1 wood.......