Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 PM

B23,
They would be okay for me, but, for now I'll stick with my Saterns.
A Saubier member from UK is 3D printing funnels, not from metal though.
Thanks,Ken.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
B23,
They would be okay for me, but, for now I'll stick with my Saterns.
A Saubier member from UK is 3D printing funnels, not from metal though.
Thanks,Ken.
Are they a very nice funnel, yes, are they better than my Saterns, not really and certainly not worth their cost of more than twice as much as the Satern funnels.

The Xtreme Hardcore funnels do have a certain cool factor and don't forget they come in a nifty little velvet pouch inside a fancy box so they've got that going for them too.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Supporting Member

Got them this afternoon. Without a doubt they ARE cool BUT, they don't work like I thought they would. Tried the 20 caliber on the case neck and was VERY disappointed. From the co$t and the looks, I figured they would be the best ever made. Sometimes you need to try something out to see if it will work to your expectations. In this case, No way.
The funnels are machined (CNC) with a step that should fit OVER the outside of the case neck. They don't!! So the funnels sits "on top" of the case neck and can fall off because they don't fit snug. They're going back.
And Ken, they measure just shy of 2" across the top.
The funnels are the correct caliber size NOT the size of the case neck OD.
And they could be Gold Plated but they're still worthless if they won't do the intended job.
Forget the Velvet Pouch, just make a funnel that works.
And if someone is doing the 3D thing, make sure they fit OVER the case neck.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-26-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 PM

Mikie, if I understand you correctly, the funnel slides over the neck fine but what you were wanting is one the slid over the neck but was a more snug fit and not loose at all, or does yours not slide over the necks of your brass at all???
Old 08-26-2017, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

NO! The funnel DOES NOT fit over the outer case neck. That's the problem and the reason I sent them back.
I'am working with a "20" caliber case. IMHO, the 20 caliber funnel should fit OVER the case neck up to the turned step. Not snug or tight, just go over the OD of the neck. The hole in the funnel is .204 but the lower portion needs to fit OVER the case neck. The hole will be centered by the lower turned portion.
I was just looking at the Saturn funnels but they don't give you any specs.
I have a couple for larger calibers (6MM and .223) so I'll have to see how they fit, over or just sit on top. I think over.
Just measured the 20 caliber case neck. .235. The "20" caliber funnel has the hole at .204. If the lower turned portion was at .240, it would fit OVER the case neck and work like a champ.
I should have done a little more checking but when the 20 caliber funnel wouldn't fit over the case neck, I figured the others would probably fit the same so I couldn't pack them back up fast enough. Either they work or they don't.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-26-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 AM
Supporting Member

I'm surprised no one has mention the nice funnels that Hart makes. They're light wt and will set on the case necks without falling over in loading blocks. The early Saunders were good but I don't care for the later made funnels. I have Harts in 17,20 and 22 cal.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:30 AM

OK, now I'm getting what you're saying and I think I know what the problem is so don't send it back just yet.

I'm guessing you probably just grabbed a fired empty and stuck it in the funnel and because it wasn't sized, it didn't fit up in the neck of the funnel. I use the red .20 cal funnel for my 204 Ruger and on a fired, unsized case, neither my Nosler nor Hornady brass will fit up in the funnel until the necks have been sized back down, then they fit perfect.

I just went down and measured mine and the opening measured .230 and one of my fired and unsized 204 Ruger cases measures .233. Try using the funnel on a case that's been sized and see if it fits.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 AM
Supporting Member

First off, my loaded 20 caliber round neck measures .237.
Fired unsized brass is .234.
New made and ready to prime and load is .237
The hole in the .204 "red" funnel to the step is .2315.
None of the brass will fit into the .204 funnel.

They fit "loose" into the .224 (orange) funnel but then you have a 22 caliber hole to deal with.

The way they are now, it's a two hand operation to use them. You have to hold the funnel on top of the case neck then throw your powder charge.
If the funnel fit over the case neck, you could pick up the case with one hand with the funnel on top and charge OR have it in the loading block with the funnel on top. With the case going up into the base of the funnel, less chance of it falling off but you still have control of the case.

Just checked the .224 (22 caliber) fennel. Primed .221 Fireball brass ready to load fits up into the base of the funnel, as it should. The necks measure .2465 to .247. The funnel measures .250.
Measure the base of your (red) 20 caliber funnel and tell me what you come up with. Mine is .2315 to .232. My guess it mine was cut wrong??

Plan B: If need be, I can send it/them back to Xtreme Hardcore Gear and have them open it up to the proper specs or replace as needed.

Just checked and the 17 caliber Xtream funnel also WILL NOT fit over a case neck.
Checked a couple of Saturn funnels and they fit OVER the case necks.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-26-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Supporting Member

"I'm surprised no one has mention the nice funnels that Hart makes."

Checked them out, looked good so ordered up a couple in 20 and 22 caliber.
Thanks for that heads up Ray.
Hart mentions in their specs that the their funnels fit ON the case necks.
That's a step in the right direction.

And, I sent a note to Xtreme Hardcore Gear so I'll see what they have to say about the fit on the case necks.

Funny how when they (XHG funnels) go down in caliber they don't fit as designed. Makes me wonder if the folks that are running the CNC machines know anything about what they're making and how they are suppose to work OR just going be measurements?

I HAD the XHG funnels all packed up and ready to return till we got in the middle of this situation. Opened the box and been in the middle of it since. Got till November to return with no issues.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-26-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Just got this reply from Xtreme Hardcore Gear concerning their funnels.

"Mike:
On most all of our funnels we made them .005 over the largest neck diameter for that caliber based on SAAMI specs. On the .204 funnel, we made it to .232 +.001 -.000 (SAAMI spec is .231) due to the fact that there was no other calibers besides the .204 Ruger that this would be used for. I have plug gauged a dozen funnels here at the factory and all have gauged .232 to .2325…

We are a while from making more of this particular caliber due to inventory levels, but the next time we build them we will be increasing the neck section diameter to .236 +.001 - .000."

Too bad they didn't think about pulling their stock inventory and doing a mod on each of them so they will work as designed.