Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM

I asked the folks at Cooper the same question several years ago. They said if you can hold your hand on the barrel for several seconds you are not over heating it.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
I asked the folks at Cooper the same question several years ago. They said if you can hold your hand on the barrel for several seconds you are not over heating it.
This is the correct answer.

I generally take two or more rifles when shooting gophers or PD's so that I do not overheat my barrels. In my 223's I have found that around 5000 rounds accuracy begins to degrade enough that I loose confidence in the rifle, barrels are a consumable just like powder and bullets.

drover
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Barrel Life

I have been through a few barrels over the years, but my experience with a .223 Savage RBLP may be of interest to you. The factory barrel went about 4300 rounds before being replaced with a Criterion. That saw 7400 rounds before I put on another Criterion. That one is still on with over 4000 rounds. All were 26 inch 9 twist. I never saw accuracy drop off if they were kept clean, but cleaning frequency and difficulty increased until I replaced them. All loads were fast but below max, shot at ground squirrels and some paper. All reloads, no factory.
Personally, I don't think I could wear out a .223 barrel with factory ammo, I'd go broke first.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Unless you are in a dogtown going nuts, your probably not going to overheat. You got some really good advice on overheating. When the throat goes, you can screw on another barrel.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Barrel life

I was told a barrel was like a set of tires. They start wearing the minute they hit the road. You rotate and maintain them they'll last a long time. The other side of that coin is if you have a hot rod you most likely will abuse those same tires and over heat them. The same goes with barrels. At the range you are more likely to take care that barrel. In the middle of a target rich prairie dog town not so much. On a 100 plus temp day in a dog town 3 shots has the barrel so hot you can't touch it. So I look at it this way I only get to shoot dogs once or twice a year. So I'm going to abuse it. They make new barrels.