Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM

I've enjoyed VH for many years but have you noticed it's always windy when they test a rifle at the range for accuracy?

Just once I would like to read the conditions were perfect and the rifle still averaged inch and half groups.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM

DC3 , I don't know your location but if you go out to S. Dakota you will notice a wee bit of wind . On many trips there I found out that if you get two days per week with not much wind , you are lucky . Same applies to Wyoming and Montana , or maybe I just pick the wrong times to be out there . I've seen it so bad that it was difficult to even stand up straight . It's always good to have a shooting back-up plan .....sight seeing , picture taking , gun shops , good restaurant , etc .
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Supporting Member

Wasn't it Dan C that used a log chain for the tails on his wind flags????
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Default You might be right Ray...

I know up Montana way Doug uses lengths of chain for wind flags
Matt
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 AM

Default Precision magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Matt
And, as they say, the only time the wind stops "Is to change directions" Bill K
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Supporting Member

Most magazine use one or more of the following excuses for poor accuracy when testing one of their advertisers guns:

Too Cold
Too Hot
Too Windy
Old Eyes
Couldn't find proper ammo
Barrel Not Broken In
Didn't have rifle long enough
Wife calling me to dinner

And Precision Shooting spent WAY too much time and pages searching for, talking about, photographing....Dead Guys....Not sure what that was all about.

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Matt
Matt we usually have about 3 foot lengths of several different weights of chain attached to the same post. By the time the logging chain is standing straight out ya know it's probably time to go from 20 grain bullets to 30 grainers in your .17 calibers .

The truth is, if we all shot in a vacuum and as accurate as the rifles are today it'd be pretty boring.
In Montana, South Dakota (which happens to be the "Gateway To North Dakota" ), Wyoming and a number of other places as well, wind is a given! Figuring out how to shoot the conditions is what this whole thing is about, Ain't it??

As to gripes about "Precision Shooting", I don't have any. It was aimed at a specific niche in the market and like every magazine, some issues had more articles in em I liked than others. The only problem I ever had with the magazine on a personal level was actually my problem and not the fault of "Precision Shooter", a few of the articles were very technical and involved and some it seemed were a bit over my head . Like others mentioned however and in spite of my being a mere Earthling, I always felt "Precision Shooting" was the gold standard of gun magazines! It and Small Caliber News were and are text books with quarterly updates that were/are used to keep me eternally drooling and always wanting a new toy. I will miss the both of em a lot as they were my last two "Shooting Magazine" subscriptions in the current world of "Gun Rags". Not to be overly graphic but if I have to read one more article on one more black plastic handgun I'm gonna puke! (but that's just me).
I too believe the internet is a magazine slayer. That said, "LONG LIVE SAUBIER.COM!!!". I can count on you guys to help me keep my wallet skinny!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Well, the wind blows here in the Columbia River Gorge at times. One time I watched a hen lay the same egg three times. I felt sorry for her after the first two attempts and turned her around to where she was facing into the wind.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Not to be overly graphic but if I have to read one more article on one more black plastic handgun I'm gonna puke! (but that's just me).
Doug - No amigo, it's NOT just you!

Now that PS is moribund, my gun rags are trimmed to 'Rifle Magaine', 'Handloader', 'Varmint Hunter', and being a Lifer, American Rifleman which occasionally actually surprises me.

But with about only one article per issue in PS that was of interest to me, I'm not whining too much, just sad to see another gun-related mag go the way of the Do-Do bird.

Wind: Jeez, that's what makes us riflemen!