Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Looking to get started

Hi all very keen to begin producing 224 and 172 cal projectiles. Kinda hard to find info here in Australia so I expect to have to order from USA. Be interested in knowing what I might need to get started without spending a lot of cash. I'm not looking to get into anything remotely like a commercial operation. Cheers BM
Old 11-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Default Getting Started

The concept of "getting started in bullet making" and "not spending a lot of cash" are polar opposites.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Harren View Post
The concept of "getting started in bullet making" and "not spending a lot of cash" are polar opposites.
Definitely an oxymoron..........

Kind of like death benefits, postal service, and crash landing...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Harren View Post
Lol I understand that !! Was wondering if it's possible to use a reloading press with appropriate dies. BM
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Supporting Member

Default Getting Started

Some of my presses are Rockchuckers. My Pindell made .224 dies are made to fit the Rockchucker with the 7/8x14 bushing removed. Still need to have the ejector frames built and the rams re-engineered.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:57 PM

Try Dr. Larry Blackmon at Bullet Swaging Supply Co. He makes excellent quality steel dies at very reasonable cost. He also offers "Mighty Mite" press that works well with his dies. Be prepared for a long wait.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Dr. Blackmon had my samples in hand at the end of July, since then, nothing. If I'm in the queue, so be it. My turn will come and calling won't speed up the process.
Ken.
Ps. Price he quoted was approx. half of what I would pay elsewhere for similar job.

Last edited by kenbro; 11-22-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Ps.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Thanks guys!!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM

Default O.K.

Three BIG sources.
corbins.com; Dave Corbin... Big wind in the business. He knows and communicates. Little more expensive but somewhat quicker delivery.

ASIDE: As indicated, "low cost" is ??? You get what you pay for. And demand has been huge, so delivery is any thing but quick.
b). This is simple machine shop work. If you know skilled machinists, they can do this work. Distance might make this cheaper. Law in USA requires a federal license for this kind of business.
c). Reloading press? RCBS (heard of them???) stands for "Rock Chucker Bullet Swages." This is how Fred Huntington got his start.
d). No telling what is on ebay. You have to watch... (Corbin has classifed ads for people selling used... much quicker delivery... Quality???)

RCECO.com Dave has a brother, Richard. Formerly they were partners. Now they are not partners and Rich is on his own.

As indicated, Mr. Blackmon, Larry runs "Bullet Swaging Supply" and has a web site I don't recall exact address. You can "google" it. Better prices but skilled hand work so delivery "in time."

Then CH4D.COM had dies, limited basis, for making "pistol bullets."

And a man on "Cast Boolits.com" formerly reworked CD4D.com dies, now makes his own. Again, largely pistol bullets.

Last, but not least, there are machinists lathes, tiny, for jewelers with which you can "turn" bullets from brass rod, etc. Again, low money is not easy option unless you can catch a sale at a jewelery maker... Luck. Happy Trails.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 PM

Default Oh yes,

As to getting started, Mr. Corbin, Dave has a set of books that pretty well covers the bases. Or you can go with just "Rediscover Swaging" and get a pretty good overview.

Tools, properly cared for, pretty well hold their value. Not a bad investment for the young. I have a Herter knife I paid $2 for. They go on Ebay now for around $50...!!! Good knife but I am not sure I would pay 50 for it today... ??? Luck.