Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 05:18 PM

Talked to Todd Kindler today. He convinced me that I should get a 17 AH and that is where I am leaning. I have always been attracted to that caliber for fur. The only thing that is less than satisfying is that I've read repeatedly the brass isn't very good because it is so thin.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Advice on 17 or 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcdonou View Post
Talked to Todd Kindler today. He convinced me that I should get a 17 AH and that is where I am leaning. I have always been attracted to that caliber for fur. The only thing that is less than satisfying is that I've read repeatedly the brass isn't very good because it is so thin.
Stick to hornet brass, other than Win. Neck size and headspace on the shoulder and you will have way fewer problems and the brass will last a good amount of reloads. Bill K
Old 04-21-2015, 06:28 PM

I thought Remington and Winchester were the primary manufacturers of hornet brass, and from what I read Winchester was getting more love from reloaders. Not true?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM

If you go with a 17 Hornet you will be wanting a cartridge with a little more zip in it very shortly. Larry
Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 PM

Default Advice on a 17 or 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcdonou View Post
I thought Remington and Winchester were the primary manufacturers of hornet brass, and from what I read Winchester was getting more love from reloaders. Not true?
I have found ( now this could be just me) that Win has always seemed thinner. Rem and Privi brass has worked best for me, as to forming and lasting longer. You just have to check them and see for yourself. Bill K
Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 PM

.22Hornet - CZ - with RP brass and 13.8gr. LG with a 45grp SP (3,150fps) - shouldershoot coyotes and drops them with barely a twitch from a tail - out to 200yards. DRT - "Dead Right There" - entry hole hard to find, no exit hole.

I doubt it would be fur friendly on fox, though. Could be the extremely accurate .224" Sierra 40HP, that is listed for 3,600fps - UP, might be perfect for fox, acting more like the TSX, but WAY cheaper - 13 to 14gr. LG - RP brass. I always crimp Hornet bullets using a Lee Factory crimp die - SD's in the teens and excellent accuracy.

3-shot groups for the 40gr. Sierras in my CZ "Lux" model ran from .150" down to .087" @ 100 meters.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
If you go with a 17 Hornet you will be wanting a cartridge with a little more zip in it very shortly. Larry
I am not certain that will be the case for the distances I am shooting (150 yards and under). Also, I got a used Cooper Model 21 in .222 that I am going to rechamber to a 20 Vartarg.

However, the thin, outdated brass issue is something I am really having a hard time accepting with the 17 AH. I think I might just go with the 17 Fireball. It has good brass, is easy to reload for, and can handle 20gr bullets for fox and coyote at short ranges, plus 25 grainers if I want something heavier.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM

I just want to say I wish you luck in the search of the holy grail.

Let us know what works for you and what doesn't next season and I am being sincere here. We are looking for the same thing.

If it was myself and as you can see by my name I am a serious predator hunter and have shot my share of both predators, I would try a big seventeen and in particular the Rem. I would download it for fox and load heavy 30 gr for coyote.

I have many varmint rifles in my possession looking for exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 04-21-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Most everything was covered here, so I don't have much to add other than a 17Rem. can be loaded down to a 17 Fireball, but the Fireball can't be loaded up to the 17 Rem. I'm not sure about down loading a 17-223 as I have never owned one. If Fox and Bobcat was my goal with the occasional Coyote, then a 17AH or 17 HH would be my choice.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 PM

If you have a rifle that will feed the 17 Fireball I think you will be a lot happier with it than you would be with the Hornet. I have a nice piloted reamer for one if your smith doesn't. Larry