Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM

Default One coyote w/new Nagel 25's

So, I finally got out yesterday to try the new Nagel 25's on coyote. But, only managed to get one shot off, so, not too much of a sample!

Actually had three come running in together, shot this one on the run, didn't get a shot off on the other two. I'm getting old and slow...

Anyway, running almost straight away at 50 yards, he took a pinch of lead between the cheeks, dropped on the spot but flopped around for awhile, still alive when I walked up so I put another one in the chest at point blank range - which did not exit. Shot twice, but no fur damage, not bad!

Using a .17 Mach IV, 25 Nagel at ~3850 fps.

- DAA
Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 PM

In a couple of weeks I will try out his 30gr 17's out of my 17-204 on some tiny little Arizona Coyotes. Larry
Old 12-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Nice work Dave, and great photo! Thanks for sharing.
Tom
Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the report and the photo Dave. Maybe you need to take a partner along to help clean up on those stands where you call in multiple coyotes

It is good to hear that Chan's 25 gr. bullets work well at dispatching coyotes. I finally got a chance to use some of his 30 gr. T-000 bullets on coyotes on Friday and they worked GREAT!!!

NRA Life Member
Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Supporting Member

Dan,

Nice coyote! A selfie on timer?...the photo is really good!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 AM

Default Nice!

Love the pic and story as always,nice cartridge too!
Matt
Old 12-29-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Old and Slow

That's why I bought the AR. I bet you would have taken another shot with one?

I know you are not a fan of the 223 (I am) but you can put just about any barrel in one (your 17 Predator, 204 or any 223 cased wildcat without a super extreme shoulder). You can also have so many options for grips, handguards, stocks etc. I am sure we could find something you would warm up to.

Any chance you would like to go out Thursday or Friday? I would be happy to let you use my Rock River on a few stands. She shoots the 40 grain ballistic tip at 3800 FPS into tiny groups!

Mike.

Last edited by Stormbringer; 12-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Supporting Member

Great picture and great report as well! As I look at that picture though I think I can see fleas abandoning ship and looking for a new and warmer host to winter with. Be sure and comb out your mustache .
Thanks for sharing the experience!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
That's why I bought the AR. I bet you would have taken another shot with one?

I know you are not a fan of the 223 (I am) but you can put just about any barrel in one (your 17 Predator, 204 or any 223 cased wildcat without a super extreme shoulder). You can also have so many options for grips, handguards, stocks etc. I am sure we could find something you would warm up to.

Mike, I'd have got off more than one shot with an AR for sure. You have seen me try to shoot those machine guns - I'd have emptied the magazine trying to hit the first one .

If I were ever to get one, it would have to be a .223.

Because I'm not grubbing around in the snow looking for brass and couldn't bear the thought of losing a piece of wildcat brass I'd worked to create to lay there for the archaeologists of a future generation to ooh and ah over.

No, if I ever find an AR that I don't hate the trigger, don't hate the height of the scope, don't hate the pistol grip, don't have the cheek weld, don't hate the THWONG'ing of the shot, don't hate spitting brass on the ground, don't hate the muzzle blast, don't hate carrying on a sling, don't hate loading and unloading to get in and out of the truck for every stand etc. If... I can find one like that, it would have to be a .223. Which, as you know, I hate (for coyotes).

Weather permitting, I might be up for a trip. Still not sure if I'm working Fri. or not, but do have Thur. off. Ran into a decent pocket of bunnies the other day too, might be more fun to go pop a mess of them on all the fresh snow we just got.

- DAA
Old 12-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Be sure and comb out your mustache .
Thanks for sharing the experience!!!

It's been a few years since I wore a beard (daughter made me shave it when it turned white...). But I can remember several times having the little beasties jumping around in the beard driving between stands. They don't seem to find the mustache as appealing a home .

- DAA