Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default your first coyotye you called

November 1980, sat up in a bunch of tall Cholla cactus and was using a small boom box with a jack rabbit cassette to call, about 3 minutes into the call I spotted movement to my left. it was a coyote moving fast in the direction of the boom box. being new at calling I put the boom box only 20 feet in front on me. the coyote come flying around a large clump of Cholla cactus and spotted the boom box about the same time I fired my Remington 700 bdl in 17/223. the Hornady 25 gr hp hit him just below the eye and history was made.

turns out the coyote would also be the largest coyote of my calling career. he was almost the size of a German Shepard at 65 pounds

when we sold the hide the buyers eyes lite up when he unrolled the hide. said "he had never had one that big before. he gave me 65.00 for the hide. things I learned that day, I had no idea what I was doing, always carry a camera and , I was hooked for life but I never put a call that close to me again.

Last edited by foxhunter; 12-15-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default first coyote

Mine was during a calm light snow in the early eighties. Big flakes drifting down on hardly any breeze. I was using a hand call, which I still have, and I walked out behind our house about 200 yards to call across a small field to a larger timber. When I first caught a glimpse of the coyote, he was coming in hard, pouncing high, thinking he was getting an easy meal. He stopped about 40 yards away and I got lucky enough to find him in my dancing scope.
I remember my coyote kills better than a lot of my deer. Something about beating a hunter at his own game.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Your first coyote you called.

Oh boy... The first one was way back in the early 50's, Climbed up on the roof of a old abandoned shack out in the middle of a large sage flat. (wondered at the time if I would all through that old roof) had a mouth call, first one I also bought and still have even though I have replaced the insert a few times.
It was and is a original Thompson jack rabbit call. Anyway gave two calls about five minutes apart when running straight at me was this lone coyote, when he cleared some of the sage at about 60 yrds out the 222 Rem 50 grain over some 4895 took him head on in the chest. Dropped like a rock and that was the start of my varmint calling. Bill K
Old 12-15-2018, 09:30 PM

I'll tell ya about my first called coyote sometime. But for now I just want to say that if you have to hunt coyotes in country that is that thick with cholla -- you've got my respect. I'd rather mess with barrels of rattlers. jd
Old 12-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Administrator

My first was called and killed while Turkey hunting. Ran right down my gun barrel. Not much to tell. 37lb male.

My first attempt at calling was labor day weekend about 15 years ago. We were at my cabin in southcentral PA. I had recently started dating my now wife and we were there with her two kids. Her son was about 8 and wanted to tag along. All he had to wear was shorts and a white t shirt. Fully expecting a bust, I let him tag along. We went thru the woods over the hill to a pasture I knew of with big rocks in the middle. We snuck as best as an 8 yr old could out into the pasture and hid. I hit the coyote locator on the old foxpro and the other side lit up with a pack. Sounded just like my caller. I switched to another call, probably woodpecker distress, I can't remember, and a dang yote was coming. Down thru the hollow and off to my left she pops up not 75 yards. I get her in the scope and just as I squeeze she moves. I zipped hair off her but got no blood and watched her haul the mail for 300 yards back across the pasture.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:41 AM

I actually called in several before I shot and hit one. I bought a Burnham Brothers squealer call for, I think $1.25 at a hardware store in Alturas, CA. It was the only call I could afford. I was 12 years old and had my first .22LR single shot rifle, a Stevens Model 15B, and was to often caught reading Fur, Fish and Game magazines instead of getting my homework done. The call was pretty simple and I could have carved one if I had ever seen one before. It had two mottled brown flat sticks with a wide rubber band stretched around one of them. two smaller rubber bands held the device together. You could change the pitch by biting down on the thing. I did get a coyote pup shot that summer when we moved out to Nevada. I had several come in but not close enough. I hope to be able to call again next year.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 12-16-2018, 02:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Don't recall the first one's.

Lowell: I made one of those "squeelers' after seeing an ad.
Longtime OK coyote caller and I went out S of town in 8" fresh snow
and sat on the rim of a big canyon and called maybe half hour. We got up
skunked. Not ten feet behind us was tracks on top ours as we went in!

Earl and I went out with a Johnny Stewart 20lb box affair he used. We set up about 20 feet apart next to some big sage brush, speaker between us. We couldn't see each other. Just a slight slope to the front. I was sitting flat on the ground with bipod extended. Six came running in facing us too fast to get on them. One came right to the speaker and stopped staring at it. "What the hell kinda rabbit is that?" i couldn't get the legs down muzzle was too high, finally flipped them up and was just about on him when Earl shot and missed. How in the hell do you miss a coyote broadside at 10 feet??
Anyway, it took off jumping the sage. I fired at it some over 100yds and hit the spine, wasn't dead, but, couldn't move. Just laying there watching us. Earl put the muzzle of his .17Rem against the chest and finished it off.

A pair of '06's with hot 110's at 2', yes TWO FEET into the chest of one plays hell with the fur. Fun picking the splatters off each others face!
Cousin and I were calling, leaning on a armpit hit big flat topped rock. We saw one flash 100yds out in the weeds and got ready for it to show
again. All of a sudden it jumped up on the rock right in our faces so we both pulled the triggers at once. Chest exploded.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-17-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: details details
Old 12-16-2018, 03:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Here's one that will make you laugh, so put the drinks down and
clear your mouth!

Another member and I got permission to call on a ranch So of town that had been losing several freshly born calves.

We went up on the hill and he called one in that ran thru several cows and past us without getting a shot. We gave up.

Next evening I went back to the same place and set in front of a low bush. Ground there is real sandy, no leaves or noise makers, plus I was about half deaf then. (near total now)

Got into my calling a few minutes. When a hot wet tongue licked up the back
of my neck!! Whoever knew ahead they could jump over a 5' oak brush from a sitting position?

Damned little gray donkey had walked up behind me. That was at least as spooky as when I looked down to see I was standing on a rattler. Great jump then too. Ahh, the adventures in life some of us have had.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 PM

I missed my first , inside of 50 yards and I shot right over the top of him.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I missed my first , inside of 50 yards and I shot right over the top of him.
Haha, so did I. I think he might have been 40 yards. I was so shocked that one actually came in, I almost forgot to shoot. Finally got the gun up, but my adrenaline was so high I missed that shot and two more misses as he turned on the afterburners to get out of there. Funny now, but I was ticked off about the miss that day although happy to see one finally.