Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanks Rick lots of info there
Wally
Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Wally

4 grains is max to the base of the seated bullet, not compressed, so around 3 grains is going to be at least 80% full case. I have never had any problems with reduced TB loads no matter how low I go. It is very easy to get along with, low pressure, good case fill, very low sound and still enough pressure to do a good job. It is very bulky stuff. the space that 46 grains of 4895 occupies is filled by about 14 grains of TB.

One of the Hodgdon guys who helped develop it said to me on the phone, "no matter the bullet weight you can't get enough in a bottle neck cartridge to cause a pressure problem, even compressed". The reason they don't recommend compressing TB is it makes the SD jump up a lot and accuracy goes to pot.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hey Wally:
Just curious what you might consider: Bulk, what quantity?

Thanks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Hey Wally:
Just curious what you might consider: Bulk, what quantity?

Thanks.
Bulk to me is any ammount over 10 rounds its simple to hand weigh up to 10 rounds but time consuming and you get to complacent and can rush thing and that is where mistakes can happen i would think its easy to spot double charges cause they wont go in but a missed charge is not so easy to spot ans a primer can put a bullet half way up the spout ans in the heat of the moment cause you had just had a missfire and the fox is still in sight so a quick reload and shot put you in hospital or a box.
Once my load is finalized i will load fifty or more using my Lee powder measure and i have got into a good flow with that but i still check every 5th load.
I de-cap and necksize all my cases then check length and trim if needed re-prime them load charge look in case fit head and its done usualy in 50 rd batches.
Wally
Old 07-03-2014, 04:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wally:
That's kind of what I was thinking. We have a
big difference of opinion on BULK.

I seldom load anything other than a new cal.
with less than a thousand, or two per batch.

Hell man, ten rnds isn't even a box full!!

(mostly just trying to harass you a bit, ok?)

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Wally:

You must do a lot of shooting Georgeld on my smaller "garden "shoots about 10 shots average every 10 days or more will do it on my larger farm or estate rabbit fox clearence about 3 times in two weeks i occasionaly have a fit
and can get up to 40 rabbits but that is rare its normaly 8 or 10 per outing and often none so i perhaps 50/60 shots per month in summer and half that in winter so 2,000 rounds would last me 5/6 years and a lot of them are factory 22lr rounds
Wally
Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM

One of the benifits of high velocity is a reduction in ricochet potential , but I have heard even 6mm rounds bounce off drilled fields.

Slowing a 20gr down will make it more likely to bounce than one at full speed.

CCI do a subsonic segmented head round in 22LR, that would possibly be a better option.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=2&loadNo=0970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrbfY6jry0

A
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Wally:

We are not allowed to hold much more than 150 loaded rounds per caliber, being found in possession of more will result in a prison sentence and eh confiscation of all weapons without compensation.

Its not often I load more than 50 at a sitting, concentration starts to wain for one thing.

A
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
We are not allowed to hold much more than 150 loaded rounds per caliber, being found in possession of more will result in a prison sentence and eh confiscation of all weapons without compensation.

Its not often I load more than 50 at a sitting, concentration starts to wain for one thing.

A
I looked ahead and my quota on all rounds is buy 500 and posses 750 and my excuse was i had to travel almost 70 miles to a shop that held the calibre i wanted.
It done the trick i got them
Wally
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Welllllllll.....

Quieter? Two thoughts. One is "less gas" (propellant gas). Lighter loads. Fast powder. Bullseye is about the fastest. Doesn't take much. #2). Cars have mufflers, not to reduce, but to "spread out" the gas/exhaust and modify the sound. One old assasins trick popular in novels, the gun and hand are in a box of insullation, packing peanuts, fiberglass, etc. Auto? Revolver? Doesn't matter. Sound in a big box is a "thump." Target falls. Box carrier in delivery uniform says better go get help and runs off. How might you adapt this.

b). If you are shooting "down" there is much less likely hood of bullets wandering off. Any high shooting points available? Barn loft? Just the roof of a camper.

c). Pure lead at these velocities is as good as you need. Any hole in the "boiler room" and not likely the small creature will continue to bother. The common .17 is the pellet field. Air gun pellets. In US there have been cartridges offerred that used only a primer and an air gun pellet for indoor fun. There is a wide variety of pellets, some German, in different weights. Tiny amounts of powder and very light projectile, high velocity, low noise...

To wander afield... In US the Remington 550 .22 RF came with a power piston. Discontinued in the 1950s. It will semi auto with CB caps if the power piston is clean. I was shocked the first time I fired standard velocity .22 long rifle cartridges (on the target range taking a class). No hearing protection needed indoors with longer target rifle barrel! Slightly less power, more drop, but hit in the boiler room of pest... Lights out. Luck. Happy Trails.