Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 AM

Default pull down ammunition

I am wondering that since so many here dabble with 22lr as well as small bore central fire calibers, has anyone here ever gotten bored enough to tear down 22lr that wasn't working in their rim fire rifle and use the bullet and powder charge to reload into a .223 or 22 hornet?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Board Sponsor

What you are proposing is pretty fraught with dangers. I'd simply sell the ammo and buy proper powders and bullets. The bullets are near worthless for .22 center fire since the .22Lr is a .221-.222 and your CF is a .224. You can melt and re-cast them though. The powder is way too fast burning for anything other than squib loads (or subsonic) even in the .22 Hornet.

If you have the proper tools to monitor pressure you 'can' do it, but you likely would not be asking the question if you did, and there are better powders for doing so.

I'm not trying to be mean or disparaging toward you, and it was an honest question. I'm just trying to convey how dangerous it is to approach this without a lot of caution.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-15-2018, 03:26 AM

And from a practical standpoint, a 22LR has something along the lines of 1 grain of powder. 7000 rounds is a heck of a lot of ammo to pull down just to recover $25 of powder with no useful load data available. The lead would probably be worth $20 at the local scrap yard. That's a terrible ROI on an initial ~$300 investment!

For the same amount of time you would do far better flipping burgers at McDonald's!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 AM

driving band should be .224 on 22 rimfire if saami standards are followed.
And if the 22lr was that undersized, no one would bother buying conversion bolts for their AR rifle.

I have read of people doing it in the past, but never got fullinformation on the practice.

Yeah ill admit, it isn't for full power 223 ammunition. Im thinking on a low velocity plinking load for squirrels. Im already contemplating a low velocity cast bullet for squirrels in my .308 Winchester.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Board Sponsor

FWIW; 3.0g HP-38 CCI Small Pistol primer in the .22 Hornet with a plain base 45g WFN NOE bullet runs 1200FPS from my 20" barrel and is less than 1" at 75yds.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Default Pulling 22 rimfire bullets etc

A few of us have pulled rimfire bullets to use brass for small wildcats. Pulling bullet usually damages the bullet. A friend reswags some to use for cores in jacketed bullets. We have used powder in necked down rounds, but less than what was in original round. Because powder types vary in rimfires went back to using a know powder instead. As Mr. Reed pointed out there are better ways to load than trying what you are asking about. You can buy the same bullets used in 22 long rifle ammo and can find 22 long rifle primed cases sometimes. Last from memory ran around $100 for 5000 cases. Most of us that played with the rimfire wildcats have stopped a few years ago. Going to the effort of forming brass for one shot wasnt worth it. Forming something like a 25 acp case that could be reused was much more practical. If a barrel maker stepped up and offered quality subcaliber blanks I doubt rimfire wildcats would be first choice over centerfire brass for cases. To pull 22 rimfire bullets for powder and bullets would be an exercise in futility.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:16 AM

I just had the thought that a normal 223 collet bullet puller that works good on cast bullets in a 223 would be alright to use on a 22lr.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

I remember a while back there was a Guy around here that chambered a 22 center fire barrel with a rim fire reamer, replaced the rim fire bullets with center fire of the same weight, used the same powder charge and fired them that way. He had made a shell holder and sizing die to fit the project. Always thought that would be a fun project. As far as cost outlay? It'a a "project" so cost doesn't count.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:35 PM

That I think may be why I thought of it. I have crappy rim fire ammo that doesn't shoot well. Don't believe it can shoot well and nothing to really do with it.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Supporting Member

Get some kids together, go to a safe shooting place and let them burn it up. I'm sure there's some Scout troop near you.