Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Charlie,
Seems that everyone is out of stock, I haven’t found them anywhere. Maybe that means they are that good?
Good to hear that you have had good results, when are you going after the elk?
Stan
No idea when I might get back out there Stan. Hopefully in a few years. My boy got stationed in CO Springs. Maybe he'll find us a good place.?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:01 AM
Supporting Member

Default Elk hunting

Charlie,
Beware, elk hunting is allot of fun, I’m looking forward to experiencing the hunt with my son hopefully.
I hope that you can experience elk hunting with your son, the hunt is that much more fun when experienced with a family member, a son or daughter, even more special.
Take care,
Stan
Old 03-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
I’m just starting to get back into shooting this cartridge and would like to locate some of these LR Accubonds.

I currently utilize the 130 Grain Accubonds in my 264 Winchester Mag and I’ve had good results. Could I find less costly bullets, yes, but when I have good results with a product, I become pretty stubborn.

Thanks
Stan
My brother-in-law was shooting long range Accubonds in a 26 Nosler last year in South Africa. I can't remember now if it was the 130 or 142 grain bullet, but I think it was the 130. Anyhow, he shot a kudu bull at about 150 yards and we recovered the bullet. It was about the size of two aspirins. The kudu required another shot.

Those are definitely soft bullets, but they were designed for lower impact velocities remaining at long range. At the blistering speeds of the 26 Nosler, the bullet sheds most of it's weight very quickly at closer ranges.

I'm not trying to knock the bullet because it didn't fail. What was left held together and the remaining core and jacket were still bonded, but it's definitely at its best at long range.