Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

Default Kind of strayed off the small calibers.....

Somehow I ended up with a 15” 6.5 Bullberry and went head over heals with how accurate it was... wasn’t long and I... uh well ended up with a larger bore, a 30 herrett.... I have not shot it for accuracy yet but have enjoyed the simple brass forming process.

Then this next slightly larger one wasn’t my fault (I’ll take full responsibility for those two ^^^. It was my son’s fault... He happened into a high grade browning 30-06 with a threaded muzzle brake (besides him being a sucker for nice grainy wood he also has plans for that MB.

Anyhow he gets it into his head he’d like a 32-20... I didn’t really know a thing about one... Now as the plot thickens; this is where a saubier accessory person gets involved and finds him a high grade 53. Somehow not only did my son end up with this nice looking 53.... I ended up with a model 65 that I wasn’t even wanting or looking for but some how it must have been meant to bee bringing me back to the .224s... but oh wait... what should show up next??? 500 pieces of 32-20 brass and a supply of bullets... without even realizing it... I was falling for a 32-20 cheating on my model 65 bee!!! Somehow Ed mailed me a 32-20 and also a 25-20 contender barrels. I’ve had so much fun with this 32-20 that I haven’t even messed with the 25-20 and almost forgot about the 65 and worse yet a very nice 527/pacnor 17HH who has been greatly neglected.

Coming to my small caliber senses I realize that I have strayed some but I also realize I was just an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time. All I ever really wanted was a rifle chambered in a standard 22 Jet... boy did I make a wrong turn someplace!

Seriously it’s been awesome to have to figure out loads for stuff there isn’t either much load data for or lack of modern load data. Also forming brass once again has been awesome... shooting 85-100 grain bullets from that small case using both a full power load and also a light economy load using a fast pistol powder titegroup.

Sometimes making a wrong turn makes for a very interesting and fun trip...
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 AM
Supporting Member

And then my dream rifle appears on the horizon!

The moral of the story is don’t stray from the small caliber path,..
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 AM

Whats your dream rifle?

Aaron
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
And then my dream rifle appears on the horizon!

The moral of the story is don’t stray from the small caliber path,..
Well,

I just went off the deep end and picked up an 1886 chambered in 45-90!

Aaron
Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Congratulations. Should be very nice to shoot, as long as you don't try to make it into a 458WM. I've never shot a M86, but have shot a M71, which is similar action, but in 348Win. Very pleasant and accurate. One of my favorites is the Model 1892.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Whats your dream rifle?

Aaron
Well... it’s one of my dream rifles. This happens to be another model 38 17 CCM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Well,

I just went off the deep end and picked up an 1886 chambered in 45-90!

Aaron
Wow!!! You really did stray! Lol that’s quite an extreme spread from 17 caliber! (Sounds like fun though)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Congratulations. Should be very nice to shoot, as long as you don't try to make it into a 458WM. I've never shot a M86, but have shot a M71, which is similar action, but in 348Win. Very pleasant and accurate. One of my favorites is the Model 1892.
I played with it a bit, 38 grains of IMR4198 with a gob of pillow stuffing over the powder and a 300 grain cast slug. No recoil to speak of, just a good push. I'm going to do some BP loads just for fun and to get the "BOOM" I agree on the 92's, they are a hoot. I've got 3, a 25-20 a 38-40 and the 44. I actually filled a doe tag with the 44 2 years ago. One nice thing with the low velocity is you can literally eat right up to the hole. No blood shot what so ever.

Aaron
Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 AM

Longshot, haven't shot it in a quite a while, but I do have a BPCR M1885 in 45/70. I found 405gr cast lead with AA5744 is fun to play with.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:22 AM
Supporting Member

The 45-90, being an express cartridge won't stabilize the 400 grainers due to the really slow twist rate. I have to stick with the 300's. 5744 is also on my to do list.