Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM

there are micro lathes too that are impressive in the right hands. taige and siege seem to come to mind.

One guy has made a few suppressors off one and has impressed me. takes longer mind you but still gets the job done on smaller projects.

Cant remember where I have seen it but someone did testing with pellets in a small centerfire cartridge and he got best accuracy and velocity es/sd by seating the pellet to the base of the case (straight walled) makes sense if you think about it.

I'm sure twist rate plays a role in it as well. a takeoff marlin micro groove barrel would probably work quite nice. Your 22 CCM with primers seated to the base should be fine for what your after.

You could probably even get away with a straight chucking reamer even since you don't really need much of a leade. the chamfer in the nose of the reamer would probably suffice. then open up the rim recess and call it a day or leave the rim recess proud and countersink the barrel into the shotgun barrel by an equal amount and not worry about the rim recess.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
How are you seating pellets? Are they fairly loose in the case or do they have a little squeeze like a bullet? If they have some tension while seating I can see where a Wilson style seating die would do ok and then you wouldn't need any other tools. Not trying to talk you out of a lathe! Love having mine around.

Aaron
That is a really good idea and I'm familiar with the Wilson seating dies. I got into trouble for not spending any time on my therapy and screwing with the brass project. Guess I'm blocking stuff out. Right now I have really good accuracy with the German pellet seated out and well lubed to fill a good part of the 5.7X28 chamber. The brass is easy to find and cheap and I can live with it. Wish I could put a slight ring in the case neck to act as a stop if the pellet is not as snug as it should be. below is a picture of the pellet in one of my first tries. It is seated out but you will notice a slight roll crimp that I think screwed up the base and caused bad accuracy.

Now I use a well lubed pellet and just a snug fit and the pellets are a good 1/2" group at 25 yards using CCI small rifle primer. The primer pockets are not drilled out. This is a real Cat Sneeze round. Below is a picture of the German air rifle pellet.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 PM

Years ago I read somewhere that Velo Dog brass was still available from Fiocchi. Just how one would lay his hands on any of that, I do not know. Might check with Graf & Sons -- they list some pretty oddball stuff now and then.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Years ago I read somewhere that Velo Dog brass was still available from Fiocchi. Just how one would lay his hands on any of that, I do not know. Might check with Graf & Sons -- they list some pretty oddball stuff now and then.
I've read they do a seasonal run of the ammo but not just the components. It's still listed on their website.

Guess there's a ton of those little revolvers running around in europe.