Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Got my first 17 Rem a week ago had a chance to load up some ammo last night I can only shoot 50 yrds and I'm indoors I made up 25 rounds of 23.2gr of 8208 with a 25gr Berger JHP and 25 rounds of 23.3gr of 4320 with 25gr Berger JHP I loaded both to 2.175 OAL could not measure speed I don't have a Chrony
used a bipod with no rear rest. I got 1" groups with the 8208 and 5/8 groups with the 4320 These were not Maximum loads showed no signs of pressure should I continue to move up with these loads or move to other powders I still have a couple of other powders and I also have Hornady 20gr Bullets. Do you think the charges I used would do better with the lighter Bullet ?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Just finished load development for a new barrel on my 17 Rem. Lilja 1-10. It really liked H380 over anything else I tried - Varget, CFE 223, H335, BLC2. Shooting 20gr vmax. Shot practically identical groups from 25.5 to 26.5 grains. Using R-P cases. I test at 300 yards and groups are 3/4 to 1 inch vertical. I'm amazed at the accuracy of these little 20 grain bullets.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt-t View Post
I use H4895 powder with Hornady 25gr HP`s bullets and 20gr & 25gr V-Max bullets, in my CZ 527 17REM Varminter. All three loads shoot way under a 1/2 inch. I like this rifle more every time I shoot it. I am a real CZ Rifle Fan.
ken
I use H4895 with BERGER Target 25gr., Remington brass, (don't use Nosler)
Rifle is a factory 17REM CZ Varmint Kevlar
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Got the barrel a few weeks ago.
Savage build. Shilen 1-9” will have some brass fire formed in a couple of weeks while chasing a powder
Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 PM

I have used W748, W760/H414, and IMR4320, but mostly W760. My barrel is a 1:10 Shilen on a L461.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

Don't quit before you've tried IMR 4198.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Ran about 100 through the new Shilen. Cleans like a dream btw.

I am going to get to work on some loads. I don’t know of any kind of a spread sheet that has been worked out for the 17R.
I will refer to the spread sheet that is worked up for the 204 Ruger at 204 dot com. Being a newer cartridge it has newer powders listed, not that there is anything wrong with those that have been around for a long time. It’s just that it seems they are dropping some of them for “newer” “better” ones.

Curious if we have a spreed sheet guy around here. Older earlier data I think should also be welcomed, as I refer back to some of mine from time to time.

BCB mentions 4198 for the 17R. It is my preferred powder for accuracy for the 17HH. I don’t relish the idea of weighing,trickling then keeping it from bridging in several hundred rounds. 4198 in a short cut version would be nice.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2019, 03:33 PM

I have not tried IMR4198 as BCB has suggested. I started with IMR 4320 when I began shooting the 17 Remington and it worked so I never sought out anything different. My mindset on it has been that I found something that works (which has been a tried and true powder for many people for many years with the 17 Remington), so why spend the time trying other powders?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM

WyoBull, I got stuck on some old stand bys myself. Not a thing wrong with that, especially if one has a generous amount on hand.
Unique and bullseye come to mind at my bench. I have tried a few of the “replacement” powders for both. Have found nothing that will replace them so far.
A for instance, I have had 270 WW shoved down my throat for years. Yes it works and does good, but I always thought it could do better. 4831 and a 130 supposed to have magical powers according to some. Reloader26 entered the scene, did some reading on it. With a 150 SST and a healthy dose (book load) of Reloader 26 it thinks it is now a 7mag.

243 I pretty much ho hummed it. Hybrid100V has made two of mine into speed demon tack drivers with several bullets and weights.

I find a few reloaders that get a load that is “good enough” and leave it alone. I find there are fair number of us that just like to tinker seeking a holy grail maybe.
I have a rack full of guns I have a large amount of time in getting them to shoot cast. They have seen little use in the past few years. Yet I have a hard time even thinking about swapping or selling them to fund another project. They just shoot that well there are few that would appreciate it. There are several at my club that dislike them as they have out shot their pet rifles shooting “full length gas checks” jacketed bullets to some.

I think the 17 Remington has a larger following than some think, the reason behind my thoughts on a spread sheet.

The last dog hunt I was on I sat down at a breakfast table with some locals, didn’t know them from Adam. Before I got up to leave there were nine guys sitting there. Five not including me shot and still have 17 Remingtons. I would guess the oldest guy at the table followed me out side.

He had a secret he wanted to tell me. He had shot 4320 in his from day one. He was on his fifth barrel of a 700 Remington. He said he found the best powder yet......CFE223. I grinned, popped open an ammo box in my backseat and handed it to him. He laughed and said we were with in a couple of tenths of the same load.
Jeff
Old 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Jeff, good feedback and thanks for the information. I may have to give that powder a try. As you mentioned, time is what I need more of. Since I am not yet retired, I don't have tons of time to tinker as much as I would like at the reloading bench.

When I first develop a load for a rifle I will spend a lot of time getting it to shoot sub moa and if I accomplish that, like the bullet performance on coyotes etc., I typically leave it alone at that point.

One thing I like about this forum is we have a lot of experience here and by reading, one starts picking up on patterns of what works and what does not for specific calibers.