Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Default 19 Calhoon "FIRST BLOOD"

My first experience shooting "live game" with a .19 caliber could not have gone better. I had an awesome late morning/early afternoon fireforming brass the best way, shooting vermin.

I was shooting Browning A bolt Micro Medallion chambered in .19 Calhoon Hornet. Load is 13.0gr AA1680 in Virgin R-P cases, CCI 400 primers. Velocity should be around 3300 FPS (haven't cronied yet).

Formed 60 cases and only missed 3 shots.

I had an hour or so before the wind picked up. A 12 MPH North/NW "breeze" ended up being 45 degree right/left for my shooting position. With that said, I'm very pleased with how the 32gr bullet bucked the wind.

My longest shot was a lazered 285 yds. Most shots were 75 to 150 yards with the majority around the 125 yard mark.

This meadow is grazed by cattle; if it weren't for that, the grass would be 3 feet tall. One of the only times besides eating a "hamburger" that I can appreciate cattle.

I was able to get 3 for 3 on Chucks before calling it quits.

Hope you enjoy the pics.......

This is the FIRST victim for me with the .19 calhoon hornet. A chip shot at 50 yards, but hey, you can't miss your first shot with a "new rifle."

Hope you enjoy the pics.......
Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 AM

Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 AM

First Rock Chuck with the .19 Calhoon @ 165 Yards.

This one was close........35 yards ish......

Another close one, around 35 yards. Shot him in the neck straight on!

These close two popped up when I was walking out to the rock pile to take a picture of the 165 yard "kill."

Old 07-03-2019, 03:18 AM

That does look like a very fine first outing with the new 19 Calhoon. That Sierra bullet he had made up looks like it is working very fine also.
Photo's, do we like them, You know we do. Thanks for sharing that. Bill K
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Excellent SW!

Looks like you brought enough gun for the job!
Those cases sure form up nice,I think they really look about perfect in 19 caliber on a Hornet case,very well balanced.Now that the Sierra bullet is available for the 19’s who needs a 20 Hornet
Matt
Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Looks like you brought enough gun for the job!
Those cases sure form up nice,I think they really look about perfect in 19 caliber on a Hornet case,very well balanced.Now that the Sierra bullet is available for the 19’s who needs a 20 Hornet
Matt
That 19 looks very good, as you say 17VLD And I am glad for those, like SW that have them. But unless folks like me, swaged down 20 cal lead free, we would be the one's needing the 20 Hornet, due to this state ( and other forth coming) that require only lead free bullets on any type of game, even the non-game listed one's. Sad situation, but the way it is and seems like various game commissions are following the trend. Just a thought. Bill K
Old 07-04-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Bill

You bring up a very good point that I often forget.I was thinking the 19 and 20 are so close afella would only need one or the other,if in California your choice is the 20 or swaging I bet the 20 Hornet would be a lot of fun with the 24 NTX.Thinking I need to shoot up my ole bullets as Colorado can’t be too far behind California the way we are headed these days
Matt
Old 07-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
I bet the 20 Hornet would be a lot of fun with the 24 NTX.
Matt
X2!

I keep saying I'm going to rebarrel one of 17 Hornets to a 20HH but I never have, yet.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:25 PM

Yesterday, I took my NEW Favorite rifle with me on a 7.67 Mile Walkabout. Having OnX Maps on my cell phone, I'm amazed at how far one can walk when you are actually tracking your steps.

In any event, I was able to fireform another 50 brass on squeaks, making a clean/cold bore 225 yard shot initially. It's hard to miss with this .19 Calhoon.
In fact, I was giving too much wind hold often with a 10 MPH cross wind on squeaks in the 175 yard mark.

I was mostly walking about some new territory looking for Rock Chucks. I found a few, but they were pretty few and far between.......hence the "long walk".

Here is the 225 yard squeak.............

I spent some time sniping in this nice meadow littered with squeaks; it made for short work fireforming 50 rounds.

I spotted two chucks on these rims..........I'm sure there were more, spooky buggers, I had to wait 10 minutes prone for the two I saw to come back into view.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 07-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 PM

247 Yards prone over my back pack. Dialed 2.25 MOA, held 1/2 a chuck head left to compensate a 10 MPH left/right cross wind...........SMACK. I LOVE this little .19 Calhoon!