Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Looking for thoughts on the .20 Vartarg

Hi guys. I've not dropped into the forum for a while but have just been offered a nice looking .20VT based on a stainless Sako action so am hoping to pick up some good advice from you all if I may. Currently I don't have anything between .22lr and .22-250, so I'm thinking this could make a great rabbit rifle?

Is there anything I need to know about it? I assume barrel life is ok as it doesn't use huge charges? I also appreciate that I'll need to form brass, again not an issue. Your thoughts on the calibre in general would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Everyone that has one....

Loves it!
Pretty bold statement huh?
I have made kills with my Cooper in 20VT at 542 yards on pd’s in Montana,I have been using 32 grain bullets in mine and really like the acrobatics and damage that this cartridge produces.As much as I love the 17Mach1V,I have found the 20VT is even better for what I use it for,enjoy yours sounds like a deal you can not refuse.
Matt
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM

A VT on a Sako action would be a really nice package. I would say my Cooper VT is my most fun colony critter rifle. I have made prairie dog kills in the 600 yd range in Wyoming using my click chart and when the prairie wind occasionally dies down. Easy to form brass and easy to load with 32 grain Sierra and Hornady. Having access to Remington Fireball brass would be a plus. Haven’t had much luck forming Lapua without case neck trimming and making cases from 5.56/223 hasn’t worked well for my rifle.

Last edited by ken158; 07-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM

IMO, the 20VT is the best caliber to have. If you don't have anything between 22LR and 22-250 you seriously need to get one. My 9 year old daughter shoots mine all the time with no flinching. That tells you just how much you can see through the scope. I have shot mine out to 300 yds and if I stated the group size not many would believe me. I like the caliber so much that I now have 2 of them. One is a Cooper Model 38 the other is a custom gun I put together. They both shoot ragged holes all day long at 100 yds. +1 for the fireball brass. It's just easier to work with. With the Lapua Brass you will most likely need to turn the necks. Lots of good 20 caliber bullets as well. I use the Sierra and Hornady, but have shot the Varmint Nightmares and accuracy is still there. Barrels probably last a long time because they do not heat up. I can shoot 10 rounds strings with really no heat on the barrel. Also, I've owned my Cooper for well over a year and have yet to clean the barrel. Accuracy still hasn't went downhill and I won't touch it until it does. I hope you pick it up, if you do you'll instantly fall in love with it.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Default 20 vt

I have two now, and have made a mistake and sold my 20 vt built on a Sako A1 action. Currently I have a custom Rem 700 that was originally a 221 FB, and a single shot Rem XR100 that was rebarreled and chambered to 30 vt.

It’s an excellent varmint cartridge in my view.
The small Sako action is great for the 20 vt, the Rem 700 will have feed and ejection issues unless it was originally set up for a 221 or 17 fireball.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Smile Buy it!

Don't take a chance of missing it if the price is right.

I've had as many as 4 at a time. Made most of my other rifles, from 17AH to 22-250, into safe queens. Won the Saubier shoot with one of them.

You will love it.

Alex
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 PM

I agree with the above comments everyone has made. My Cooper 21 is a great rifle to shoot. I'm currently waiting for the return of my Remington 700 rifle from Pac-Nor that had a new 20 VT barrel installed. The Remington came as a 204 R and I never fired a round from it. I wanted to have 2, 20 VT rifles. While one is shooting, the other is the backup for when the other is cooling, loaner, etc.

Being retired, I have plenty of time to form my own brass from LC rounds. I really the Fireball brass, but the cost difference is high, it pays for me to form my own brass. I'm currently finishing up a new wet tumbler since my old vibrator died.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Grab it, you will never be sorry and will find that it well may become your #1 shooter, like so many of us have.

Forming 221FB and then sized down to 20 VT is no problem. With a couple forming dies they can made and save a lot of money. Or now some i.e. Sleeping Giant Brass and others sell it already made from 5.56 cases. Bill K
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will take it. The chap has given me first refusal. Full spec is stainless Sako action, glass bedded in a McMillan stock with a 22" stainless Walther barrel. Claimed shot count is around 550 so quite low. It comes with 100 formed and neck turned Lapua cases and a set of Wilson dies and the price is a half of what it would cost me to build it. Seems like a fair deal.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
Thanks guys. I think I will take it. The chap has given me first refusal. Full spec is stainless Sako action, glass bedded in a McMillan stock with a 22" stainless Walther barrel. Claimed shot count is around 550 so quite low. It comes with 100 formed and neck turned Lapua cases and a set of Wilson dies and the price is a half of what it would cost me to build it. Seems like a fair deal.
Really feel you will not be sorry, at all, if you get that set up. And for sure if you do happen to not like it, you can resell it very fast to any number of others and get your money back.. Keep us posted on your progress and if you do become the proud owner. And even a photo or two of it. Bill K