Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Default 20 VT dies - Ready to purchase dies, but have questions.

I'll start reloading for the 20 VT in a month or so and one of the last items I need is a good set of dies.

I've been reading about the Hornady, Redding and Whidden.

It appears the Hornady is a straight forward die set and some folks says it over works the brass. If I remember correctly it does not use a bushing.

The Redding and Whidden are a giant step up in cost and they can be purchased either with a neck bushing or without. From most of the post I've read, the S bushing is very popular in the Redding. I don't believe I've seen a bushing posted for the Whidden, but they give very good instructions on their website on how to choose the correct bushing.

Those of you loading for the 20 VT is the $200+ cost of the Redding and Whidden over the Hornady worth it? I don't mind paying the cost for the top dollar dies, I just want to make sure it's worth the cost.

I would like to know why some of you made the purchase for the dies your using.

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 PM

Hornady dies have worked for me for the last 10 yrs or so. No issues.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:06 AM

Default Dies

If cost is not a big problem, I like the flexibility provided by bushing dies. Allows with experimentation with different neck tension and different brands and neck thickness.

If you just want to load brass for varmint shooting the Hornady dies will likely do the job.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 11-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Supporting Member

First issue will probably be the "neck size" of your formed brass. Probably neck turning will be needed so bushing dies will be the next step.
Squeezing that brass down to 20 caliber makes for fat necks. Once the necks are turned, that brass can be sized with full length standard dies. You'll need to know if your sized down to 20 brass (loaded round size) will fit your chamber. Once you figure that out, you can decide which dies to go for. And I bet you thought it would be easy?? Enjoy the ride.