Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 AM

Default Custom 17 cal barrels

I have a number of custom rifles with Shilen, Lilja and a Kreiger barrels, mostly the former two. They are very accurate.
Is there any bias toward these or another barrel maker for custom .172 cal barrels when looking for the best accuracy?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 AM

df06, I currently have a Shilen in 17 Ackley Hornet that shoots very consistent in the 1's for (3) shot groups. In more than 50 years looking around for accurate rifles, I truly have only had a handful of what I would call "HUMMER" barrels. I'm no a bench shooter and only looking for exceptional rifles and barrel combinations for long range GS's and PD's...sooo I normally only shoot (3) shot groups...which "don't" get it according to the bench rest shooters! The barrels you have mentioned are great of course, but I'd add Bartlein to that also. My most accurate 20 cal has been a Bartlein. I just finished up a 22/243 Imp (30*). It has a Kreiger 7.7 twist. It just "might" be an exceptional barrel. I have three (3) shot groups in the 0's. That is extremely rare for me. Taking it to Wyoming next month for long range PD's...will see (LOL)! Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned...but catching a extremely accurate one has some luck in it in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.
410gauge
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I have a number of custom rifles with Shilen, Lilja and a Kreiger barrels, mostly the former two. They are very accurate.
Is there any bias toward these or another barrel maker for custom .172 cal barrels when looking for the best accuracy?

Thanks
I've talked to a couple different gunsmiths that were partial to Lilja's 17 cal barrels, but I think just about anyone that makes a top notch barrel, does so in all of the calibers they make a barrel in.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM

Default History?

Just an observation here -- in the years I've been active on this forum, it seems that PacNor barrels have by far been the barrel of choice for small caliber rifle builders/purchasers/shooters. Plenty of others thrown into the mix, though.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Supporting Member

17 Cal barrels are a whole bunch trickier to make than pretty much anything else. Pacnor and Kreiger have been the long term leaders in the 17 cal field. Others make some good 17 cal barrels, even a bunch of the factory barrels shoot well, but if I was trying for a zero shooting barrel I would be looking at one of those two. Never tried a Bartlien in 17 so can't comment on those.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Kreiger 17 cal

Unless I’m missing something, I cant find 17 cal barrels on Kreigers web site.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Unless something has recently changed, Krieger doesn't make .17 caliber barrels. There are other very good barrel companies that don't offer .17 cal barrels, too.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

I just asked the question to a Krieger phone rep about Krieger 17 caliber barrels as I remembered in my mind that they did make them in the past.

His response was that Krieger did make 17 caliber barrels at one time, but it has been "maybe 5 or more years" since then quit making them. If you call you might get a different answer, but that was what I was told less than 10 minutes ago.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Not just Krieger, but I'm not sure of any single point cut barrel company that makes a 17 Cal barrel and some don't even make 20 caliber barrels.

The buttoned process seems to be much more accommodating to the small bore diameter barrels than is the single point cut process.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:59 PM

Pacnor and Lilja both make Wonderful 17 caliber barrels!