Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-20-2020, 10:55 PM

Yes, I can post pics without issue on RFC, but I refuse to reward PB. Look on RFC under “A New Wildcat”

TBR
Old 04-20-2020, 11:59 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks, found it. Interesting! Can’t wait to see how it shoots.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM
Supporting Member

Hey TBR, that looks great. If I get tired of playing with the Spitfire that will be the next project. I'm no good at posting pics here but seems I read that some members were having good luck using reddit as a host.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:29 PM

Default Mixed Bag

Well, I got to the range without incident and was able to shoot the .22 Tanuki for the very first time this weekend.

The bad news:
First, it was pretty gusty out, but I really don't think it impacted the grouping much. Second, only about a third of the rounds would chamber. This is completely my fault, and I half anticipated this, since I had used formed cases as headspace gauges. I should have either bumped the cases to be fired slightly before charging them, or added some thin tape to the headspaceing cases to provide that last bit of space. Still, I got about ten rounds to chamber, and they were all close to chambering, so I'm on the ragged edge of functional headspace.

Now the good news:
The rounds that chambered fed from the Sako magazine very smoothly. This was one of the primary goals in this project, so I feel very good about this outcome. Also, the necks on fired cases are .0025" larger than the necks with the bullets seated in the loaded rounds. Perfect. The ones I got to chamber were all 16.5 grains of 4198 behind 50 grain BTs and showed no signs of pressure. I would say the report was just slightly above Hornet levels, and I also fired my ULA .22 Hornet and Dakota M10 .218 Bee on this trip, so I feel I had a very good feel for the noise level. Interestingly, the Sako L46 .22 Tanuki is the heaviest of the three rifles but still exhibited the most recoil; that 50 gr BT at 2875 FPS definitely produces more recoil impulse than the 40 gr. Hornet and Bee loads, as one would expect. Still, it was no where near the recoil and sound levels as a .222, so, again, mission accomplished.

On accuracy, after getting on paper and fouling this brand-new barrel, I was really only able to shoot one real 5-shot group. Four of those shots went into about 1/2", with the last round opening it up to about 7/8", so I have .22 Tanuki shivers running up and down my spine!

I would love to attach some pics, but PhotoBucket is trying to hold me hostage, so no pics yet.

TBR
Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are finally getting some testing in. Sounds promising!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:53 PM

Well, referring to the title of this thread, I was organizing my machine tooling over the weekend, and buried in the many telescoping plastic tubes holding all my end mill cutters was a longish tube holding a...yes, tight-neck .221 FB finishing reamer. I'm glad I did the Tanuki, but had I found this reamer earlier, it probably would not have happened. It must be fate.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

Sounds kinda familiar I'm afraid. Glad you are getting the Tanuki up and running. I finally got the gages for my 22 SmokinJoe and the barrel is being fitted and chambered to my Nesika T sporter now. Getting stuff together to make the brass currently.