Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Who said prices will go up? Why does everyone think Hiliary is going to win?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
My two cents: The country has moved to the left. Witness the last two elections. Seventy five percent of the population lives within 100 miles of each coast. Look at how those states vote and how many electoral college votes they have, examples California and New York. Trump has turned off many conservative GOPers. The only way Trump wins is if Democrats stay home and Republicans get out the vote, something they haven't been able to do in the last two elections. GOP congressional seats are in danger of being lost. With a Democratic Senate and House, it'll be all over but the crying for draconian gun control on a national basis. Think Schumer and Pelosi.
Having said all that, prices won't go up a little. They'll skyrocket because there won't be any to be had. EVERYBODY will become a hoarder.

We now return you to your regular programming. Have a nice day and remember the Boy Scout motto.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post

Just the nature of the world. The price of most everything goes up over time. Tech-type stuff being one of the few exceptions I am aware of.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Board Sponsor

Actually, that would be a good thing to model. If anyone has a wide array of data from say 1960 on pricing, it would be interesting to see how the then cost compares to the now cost. Keep in mind the Dollar gets deflated over time, so you cannot compare price to price. I know everyone know that to be true, but to see the actual numbers is generally a big eye-opener.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM

As Ron pointed out, the price adjusted cost of ammo might actually surprise us. Don't know the answer, but I would suspect some is still cheaper than it was in the 60's and some more expensive, depending on availability and demand, with the key being demand.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Ron, for a quick and dirty estimate, the Consumer Price Index Calculator will open your eyes. It is not just for ammo, but all "normal" consumer goods. And when you look at all the money that the current administration has been printing money (wide open presses), it is not surprising.

Do some what-ifs with the calculator.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....980&year2=2016
Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Supporting Member

that price calculator is pretty close. I'll dig out my old receipts to get a factual price but I believe my $3 a box 270 bullets to be purchased in 1970 and it came out to $18 today.

Edit: so I got to thinking if prices/buying power are the same today as the 60s and 70s then all this new technology has either not gained us much or the profit margin is larger today??

The minimum wage went to $1.00 an hour effective February 1967 for newly covered nonfarm workers, $1.15 in February 1968, $1.30 in February 1969, $1.45 in February 1970, and $1.60 in February 1971. Increases for newly subject farm workers stopped at $1.30.
1971-$1.60
2016-$9.51

Last edited by GLWenzl; 08-26-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Last night I got on PVI's site and they have stock in the few things
I'd like to get more of.
By the time I added it all up it ran $858 plus hazmat and s/h. that's OUCH!

I'm out of LP, LR and SP primers and need a jug of 4831sc for this cannon.
10,000 each of the primers at $28/per, and $168 for the powder. YIKES!

Back in the 60's I bought 25lbs of 4831 for 50 cents a pound. Used a lot of it I thought, had 18lbs left when I got married to a bambi lover and put the guns away for 20 years or more. Those days primers were 25 and 35 cents /100 too.

Couple years before I got back into it again. Dad decided "the kid's not going to use this OLD powder, just as well blow it up" He bought 5 sticks, dug a hole in the ground near a seep to try developing a spring in the dry pasture, poured the powder in on the sticks covered it all up with about 5 feet of dirt and rocks, and set it all off in one big boom". When they went to see the results, the water was running quite well and he had a nice big hole in the ground for a pond too. Didn't even need to use the loader they'd had come out.

Couple years later I decided to get back in the game and powder was $15.50lb then. I just about croaked to hear that. Now I'd love that price, wouldn't you guys?

Seemed like everytime I called to place an order for primers they'd gone up, last I recall was $9/1000. Damn, compared to now PVI's $28/1000. Sure wish I'd had funding to really stock up back then. I have a feeling in 10 more years we'd love to pay this $28 and $168 for a jug of powder. IF you can swing it, better get all you can pay for now it's sure not going to get any cheaper with these thugs being elected and changing the laws the way they do.
You don't know how lucky you are, you don't know how lucky you are. (sung to the tune of "We don't know how lucky we are" by Fred Dagg - google it)

I bought 10k 205m's recently $756.00 while they were on special, I'm stocking up on a few items now while they are avaialble..........Kiwi
Old 08-26-2016, 08:23 PM

Default prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
You don't know how lucky you are, you don't know how lucky you are. (sung to the tune of "We don't know how lucky we are" by Fred Dagg - google it)

I bought 10k 205m's recently $756.00 while they were on special, I'm stocking up on a few items now while they are avaialble..........Kiwi
I know what you mean Ian I am getting ready for the start of FTR comp season $480 /1000 bullets and that is cheap, $440 /4 kilo ADI 2208, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read about prices in the US
Ivan
Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 PM

microgun- polished brass, still primed @ .08. lotta work tho. can suck to deprime, then deburr primer pocket, bout $30 rcbs deburr tool for case-prep center. sore fingers. bullets bout a dime, .02-.03 primer. I just bought 5,000 for $50, Russian, should've bought much more. dumb, dumb, dumb. they work fine. pigs don't care. powder cost i'm not sure, a dime? lets say bout .35. time value?. if you just like to pull the trigger, picking up brass is worth it. ar reloading has it's quirks to s.s. and bolt guns. if i'm giving .35 x 100 rnds = $35. keep your brass, now your around.25 x 100 = $25. brownells good brass deflectors favored on helicoptors. I bought my brass 3 years ago from Ed's Brass and Reloaders. usually twice as much but all prepped. saw it in brownells couple years ago. good luck- honest hop