Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Reloading cost

Lately i have been stocking up on reloading supplys for the impending election when everything we love goes sky high in price. So i decided to do a little math to see what i was saving vs buying loaded ammo. In the end im saving 84 bucks a thousand on 223 ammo. Thats using bulk pulled 55 grn fmj bullets and range brass i buy for 30-40 bucks per 1000. Doesnt seem to warrent taking all my time for 84 dollars. What does everyone else do to cut corners.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:28 PM

I have a cabelas credit card and build points then I buy components from them especially when they have sales of 20 dollars off a hundred and free shipping.
When buying powder and primers everyone local is sold out or really high so I do a group buy with a few friends from power valley and split the shipping and hazmat.
It doesn't sound much but it adds up.
Also be sure your comparing apples to apples. A 1000 rounds of brass cased fmj can run 360 where I can reload for 150-180. Now I only save 50 dollars over the cheap steel cased Russian stuff but I save a lot over brass cased stuff of similar value.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 08-07-2016, 01:38 PM

I just figured my cost and only save 80 bucks. How do you do 1000 223 for 150 bucks
Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Reloding cost

Overall, maybe you will not save that much, if you shoot a lot, compared to buying factory. But the way Hillary will do and Wash DC, along with the anti's in groups or state government, factory ammo might be very hard to come by, without plenty of red tape, etc.
So we may be really relying on reloading, with what we put away NOW. Plus reloading is just a barrel of fun.

Just a thought. Bill K
Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 PM

my .02: #1 Agree on stocking up. #2. If one is just plinking, hunting at moderate ranges or doesn't shoot alot of ammo, and time is in short supply, buying makes more sense. On the other hand, if maximum accuracy at longer ranges is desired, shooting competition or just trying to do the best one can with their firearm, the time taken to make reloads does pay off.
On the .223, I tell my friends, it's so cheap, just buy it.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Default Reloading costs

Compare quality reloads developed for a specific rifle to premium factory ammunition....reloads likely will produce groups half the size at 1/3 the price. ONTH your time has great value so you need to enjoy the process
Old 08-07-2016, 02:31 PM

Nor cal...i dont know who pissed on your cheerios but take a hike ...please. i was asking a simple question. #1 i graduated 5th grade which obviously you have not so therefor i can use a calculator...#2 i hardly shoot at all regardless of weather i reload or purchase...#3 you dont know me from adam so please keep your eneducated opinions to yourself. Thank you
The management
Old 08-07-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgun View Post
Lately i have been stocking up on reloading supplys for the impending election when everything we love goes sky high in price. So i decided to do a little math to see what i was saving vs buying loaded ammo. In the end im saving 84 bucks a thousand on 223 ammo. Thats using bulk pulled 55 grn fmj bullets and range brass i buy for 30-40 bucks per 1000. Doesnt seem to warrent taking all my time for 84 dollars. What does everyone else do to cut corners.
First off I can't buy ammo that is as good or as accurate as what I load. For me to buy ammo that would be close to what I load it would cost around $1.00 per round or more. My loads are nowhere near that. If a person wants to shoot junk and just hear their gun go bang it is probably not worth handloading.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Nor cal...i dont know who pissed on your cheerios but take a hike ...please. i was asking a simple question. #1 i graduated 5th grade which obviously you have not so therefor i can use a calculator...#2 i hardly shoot at all regardless of weather i reload or purchase...#3 you dont know me from adam so please keep your eneducated opinions to yourself. Thank you
The management

First off, it's obvious you can't take a joke!! So with that in mind, I'll make it simple.
You buy reloading supplies, you load ammo so you don't have to spend $$ before you go shooting. No $$ spent when you hit the range so you end up shooting more. Who needs a calculator to figure that out?
Sorry if you can't take a joke.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 PM

I buy 8 lb jugs of powder. Primers in 5000 count packs. I wait for deals on bullets and get them in bulk for .6 or .8 each. Range brass is cheap. Figure 3-5 reloads per piece. So save your brass and figure it doesn't cost 5 cents each in the long run its 1 cent. Not sure if you were joking nor Cal Mike but it came across a little jerky. Just saying. May not have been meant that way, but intent doesn't always come across the internet well.
And I don't shoot more when I reload because it takes time to reload and it cuts into my shooting time. I reload because it saves me money and it makes me independent of factory type ammo.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 08-07-2016 at 03:09 PM.