Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Which Chronograph

I'm sure this is kind of an old subject, but I may be in the market for a Chronograph. This would be one that will read 17 Rem. velocities without any trouble. The Labradar would only read the 30gr. 17 load because it was under 3900 fps. It was suggested that I use a marker on the bullets and then maybe the Labradar would read some of them. Great suggestion but I'm looking for constant consistency.
And of course, I don't want to spend a lot of money on one either.
What are your suggestions? I'm all ears.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Chrongraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
I'm sure this is kind of an old subject, but I may be in the market for a Chronograph. This would be one that will read 17 Rem. velocities without any trouble. The Labradar would only read the 30gr. 17 load because it was under 3900 fps. It was suggested that I use a marker on the bullets and then maybe the Labradar would read some of them. Great suggestion but I'm looking for constant consistency.
And of course, I don't want to spend a lot of money on one either.
What are your suggestions? I'm all ears.
The Competition Electronics makes a fine one. The upper level one is what i have. It's the old style that has a sky screen. Very reasonable price. A add on accessory is a printer.

I've seen enough of the Chrony brand that just didn't cut.

Competition Electronics for me.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:40 PM

Lightbulb Got my..........

......Oehler 35P many years ago.

Pricey for me, at the time.....but has served me very well.

Hope this helps.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin
Old 10-11-2020, 02:21 PM

I have had a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master for years, and also have their printer. Works great for me, no problems getting over 4000fps, and lots of memory. I don't use their software, as I prefer using an Excel spreadsheet/database instead, because I was already very familiar with Excel.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM

Default Like Kevin...

I bought the Oehler 35P a few years back.I absolutely love it and it works well,I have proofed loads up to 4404fps.It has been through a lot,I even have clocked arrows and pellet rifles with it.Was sad to hear that they stopped offering it for sale a bit ago.Rumor has it though that they are available again,if so I would jump on one,damn the expense.
Matt
Old 10-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

I emailed Labradar about the 4000 FPS speed limit back in June. They said that to go higher would make the machine into a $40,000 item so they have no plans to release one with a higher speed limit.

When I am shooting something the Labradar won't read I use my 30 year old Chrony Beta Master. Reads the 4000+ bullets just fine.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

Have had a 35 P for a long time and wore out 2 printers. Have had a couple other chronos over the years but the 35P has been the best by far. Oehler brought it back out and it is available as a kit so to speak. They come up used occasionally for very good price if you can wait and watch.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post

Competition Electronics for me.
That it what I use as well. You need good light for 17 caliber use, but other than that it has been super reliable.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:07 PM

When shooting over a chrono, I quit trying for groups at the same time. Always seemed something didn’t work at the right time.

I have owned a couple of different brands, all mentioned above. All of them would throw a fit at some time or other. I will admit I was shooting a lot of pistols at that time.

I still didn’t ever look forward to testing with a chrono. I looked at the lab radar, then saw it didn’t like fast little bullets, so I refused to spend the money.
I got to a point I needed one and wanted it to work 99% of the time. Buddy bought a magneto speed. I used it a half dozen times, then bought my own.

It has recorded 17’s at 4300 and change. Thought it was a glitch and got out another chronograph after a couple of shots finally got a reading and it agreed with the magneto speed.

Does it change POI? Yes.
But they all group in a similar fashion.
There are some folks that made a set up for the magneto speed that doesn’t attach to the barrel.

They way I look for a load, some say I may chase my tail.
I look for a node or nodes doing a ladder. Make note of what shows what deem to be promise. Then tinker with neck tension and bullet seating to see if it will tune any better.

Magneto speed.
Strap to the barrel
Plug it in
Shoot and your done. No muss no fuss.

A way less shorter learning curve than any other one I have owned. I would suggest tinkering with it a couple of times before real serious work. Sensitivity setting and when and when not to use the spacers is the biggest deal.

My .02 worth.
Jeff
Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 PM

For the light activated chronographs, like my Shooting Chrony, lighting conditions can and do affect some readings. Erratic lighting, like bright days with no clouds vs cloudy/overcast vs mixed clouds vary the amount of light picked up by the sensors. Don't let direct sun shine directly onto the sensors, or you will have trouble. Move the chronograph out of the sun and you should be okay. Having a printer makes things move along faster, and then you have a permanent record of the results.