Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred in NE Ohio View Post
The rifle will be used mainly in South Dakota dogtowns.
Fred
Every time the the subject of muzzle brakes comes up, there're always people who talk about noise. Well yeah, brakes are loud. Light off a braked 243 or 22-250 without ear protection and it'll really hurt. But regarding Fred's post, some people just don't get it. Read again how this rifle will be used.

Stop and think a minute:
Prairie dog towns aren't at a shooting range, they're in wide open space. Shooting isn't done from a concrete shooting bench with people next door on either side. Except for those who lie in the dirt, shooting is off the hood of a truck or a portable shooting bench. There's no concrete floor, the ground is either dirt or grass. Shooting is out in the open.......nowhere near the same as being under a rigid overhead canopy. The "shooter next to you" is probably 8' or 10' or more away and like you should be, he's also wearing earmuffs.

Suppressors are fine but not such a practical solution in this country. They're very expensive, and expensive permits are involved in getting one. Paperwork has to be carried with the gun at all times. They're also bulky. I don't know if it's legal to hunt with one.

And Kevin, that's a good looking rifle.

Last edited by Ackman; 11-20-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM

You are right, but hearing loss is a cumulative affect. Even with muffs and foam ear plugs, a braked rifle is LOUD! Even though the main intent of the rifle is to only shoot in dogtowns, the reality is, if you really like the rifle, you will shoot it other places. Other places usually involves other people at some point and in that case you need to have some respect for others hearing as well, at least if you are civilized.
The straight pipe motorcycle crowd is learning this lesson the hard way, they are outlaw in a lot of localities.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Default 20Cal muzzle brake

Fred in NE Ohio >
If you decide to install a muzzle brake, then I'd suggest it's removeable and that way you have the option of using when and where you like.
The brake is replaced with a threaded muzzle cap.

I don't understand why anyone would have a permanent brake mounted.
In addition ...it's much easier to clean the rifle barrel when the brake is "off" otherwise you have cleaning products leaking through the brake port holes.

Let us know what you decide and good shooting !
20PPC is a great calibre

-AL
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Even with muffs and foam ear plugs, a braked rifle is LOUD! Even though the main intent of the rifle is to only shoot in dogtowns, the reality is, if you really like the rifle, you will shoot it other places. Other places usually involves other people at some point and in that case you need to have some respect for others hearing as well, at least if you are civilized.
The straight pipe motorcycle crowd is learning this lesson the hard way, they are outlaw in a lot of localities.
This is funny. Has nothing to with motorcycles. Everyone I shoot with uses braked rifles on pd/rockchucks. From .223 to .257Wby my rifles are braked. Even a braked .257 isn't LOUD when you're wearing earmuffs, and a braked .223 is mild compared to that.....the ppc case uses a couple more grains. And this is a prairie dog gun. Using or not using brakes is your choice. But keep making a big deal out of this and it just makes you look foolish.

Last edited by Ackman; 11-23-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I've had a few rifles with removable brakes with a threaded cap. Works real well but I'd never consider hunting with a braked rifle.

ML
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Default To brake or not to brake that is the question

I shoot a fair amount at pdogs, chucks, bunnies, paper and big game. I have some braked rifles and others that are not. I use a fairly firm hold when shooting and I can spot 85% of all my own shots with my unbraked 8.5lb 17 rem 12 power scope, 12lb 20 BR 24 power scope, 7.5lb 223 14 power scope, 13lb 223 14 power scope 12lb 220 swift 18 power scope and even my 11.5lb 243 20 power scope. I can not see any hits unless beyond 700 yards with my 12.5lb 6.5 icbm (6.5stw 35 degree shoulder) with the brake removed. With the brake the rifle just gives a light push back. Heck I even shoot unbraked 308's and 7mm STW's out varminting.

Lots of my buddies including Ackman shoot mostly braked rifles. I have perfect hearing and find the noise level when out in the field negligible from braked and unbraked with hearing protection on unless you are very close to the muzzle and directly left or right of it. I shoot a bunch at local ranges and I never wear double hearing protection and I have lots of guys shooting brakes all around me.

Personally I would not brake a 20PPC. I would have the rifle made w/out brake and shoot it. You can always go back and add the brake.

Mike.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM

ACK-It does not surprise me that your guns are braked, even the 223! Sorry the motorcycle comment was over your head, I will type slower next time.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Default I like this one on my 20 Tejas

This is the one I like, we put on on the 17 Mach IV and the 20 Tejas.
There is no movement to speak of, they both just lay there you can see bullets hit. It does bark a little louder though.
Yes, it is short and threaded on.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Opinons are like belly-buttons. When you get down to it they smell.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 PM

Opinions and belly buttons don't smell, they can stink, but your nose smells. D