Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Default Muzzle Brake on 20PPC

I just ordered a custom rifle in 20PPC and didn't know if I should have added a muzzle brake or not. The rifle will be used mainly in South Dakota dogtowns. Can anyone offer any suggestions about this.

Thanks in advance
Fred
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 AM

Default muzzle brake

All muzzle brakes increase the noise level for the shooter and bystanders.
I shoot a 20PPC and would never consider a brake to be installed.

But, if you don't mind the increase of noise level and additional 2" rifle length then it would practically remove all the recoil.

Good shooting
AL
Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

I don't see the point in a muzzle break on a small caliber like that, it already has minimal recoil. If your going to be shooting beside your buddies they probably wouldn't enjoy a muzzle break either, breaks always increase the decibel levels by 40% or more.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 AM

Default And God forbid you

Forget to put on ear muffs.....
Some dodo I know shot a 20BR in Nebraska with out 'em
Matt
Old 11-20-2009, 02:46 AM

A 20cal could be borderline. One of my std. .223's is braked and I can tell you that even on a 26", #7 Shilen barrel, you notice a difference with that brake. It was ok without a brake, but braked the thing is a pleasure to shoot. It just sits there and doesn't move even a little bit. It's like a heavy barrel rimfire. This gun is used on groundsquirrels and prairie dogs. Every bit of the 24X is usable at any distance and the whole thing is there to see....the gun just barely quivers. The 20ppc shoots lighter bullets but uses more powder, I'd say go ahead and put one on. You and anyone you shoot with should always wear ear protection anyway, and just don't forget to pull them down.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 AM

Talking Dear Dodo......

......If you'll recall.......I was screaming for you to put on hearing protection.

Oh well.....as the saying goes...."God, save me from my friends.......My enemies, I'll take care of myself."

I agree, as Ackman said, that when shooting small targets at high magnafication, and long distance......even a 223 could benefit with the use of a muzzle brake. I'll probably put a brake on my new 20PPC, but will do initial testing without.

BTW.....Dodo's 25+ pound PD rifles don't need a brake......but I hear that they do have an integral trailer hitch.

Also, with Ray H's advise, this last year I bought some "active" hearing protectors. They're GREAT!!!

Friend Of The 17.....and 20
Kevin Gullette
A pic of Dodo's hearing tester.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Suppressor

A more common solution down here (New Zealand) is to use a supressor. As most designs now include an internal muzzle brake as part of their design you get two benefits .... sort of like a no noise muzzle brake

Plus the critters don't know whats happening!

I use a supressor on my 20BR.

Last edited by 6BRBB; 11-20-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:58 AM

I agree with 6BR,Suppress it! I am the last person on earth to tell some one to be "PC" but a brake truely does affect everyone around you. There are other ways to reduce recoil without all that NOISE!
If you go that direction, please let all those that are shooting around you know that your rifle is braked, if I am one of them, I will be happy to leave. I would like to keep my hearing.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Not only noise but varminting I frequently shoot prone and brakes are a curse from what I've see for throwing up a mushroom-cloud of dust all over everything. I can sure see the attraction of near zero recoil but I'm not personally willing to pay the price in unintended consequences, "dust clouds in my action and on my scope", "super loud"....."I SAID SUPER LOUD"!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member

Suppressor all the way.