Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Cecil the Lion killed with bow and arrow.

As most of the western world is up in arms about this I am surprised nothing has been posted here. It was headline news yesterday on the BBC for most of the day.

To bring you up to speed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-dentist.html

This 13 year old male lion was very well known, probably the most well known wild lion, he was collared and tagged. He was lured out of his reserve by a PH and local, then wounded with a bow and arrow at night before being found 12 hours later and shot.

The press are saying ( and I appreciate that this may be incorrect) that the hunter was a US dentist who paid 35,000 dollars for the privilege. He then wanted to take an elephant presumably with the same bow but could not find one big enough.

I can understand that the guy was no doubt mislead and advised that he had a legitimate Lion in front of him however personally I find the whole thing distasteful.

I know that Lion are sometimes taken to pay for the conservation projects but quite why someone would feel the need to drop the hammer so to speak on such a magnificent beast unless it was a stock killer and had to be removed is beyond me. Surely the challenge is getting up close, then a camera would be just as good. The marksmanship if close enough to wound it with an arrow is hardly a challenge with a rifle. No way is an arrow a suitable weapon for such a beast, if you are going to kill something at least do it cleanly. If I was shooting a Lion I would want at least a .404, they are huge and bite back.

Must be a bit like shooting a small tame Hereford bullock. I suppose if I were 40 years younger I would have thought differently.

Dont quite know what sort of reaction this will create, I just wonder what other peoples reaction is to this sad train of events.

A

Jim, If this gets nasty then please delete the thread, I have no wish to upset people.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Looking like a bunch of folks on this side of the pond would like to see him drawn and quarted as well as tared and feathered. Seems like he has had other run ins when it comes to not quite being legal??
He has locked the door to his office and told folks to find another Dentist.
Time will tell what is to happen.
Sounds to me more like a "canned hunt". Why didn't he go after Cecil with a knife? Would have been more sport IMHO.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:35 AM

Default Sounds like a canned hunt. However, the Telegraph has never been

friendly to hunters.
I love the line in the article where it says that he paid at auction to shoot "dead" an endangered Nevada Bighorn.
I would think if he wanted to shoot it any other way, he wouldn't need a hunting license or an expensive auction tag.
BTW, aren't those really desert bighorn sheep?

Anyway, looks like the guy is a real turd. If he was close enough to shoot it with a bow, then he should have noticed the electronic necklace. Hope he gets some justice if he is found guilty.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Supporting Member

It's sad that this seems to get more attention then the human lives that are slaughtered everyday. Respect for life has gone by the wayside. Hunters (real hunters) are sone of the most respectful people I've known..
Old 07-31-2015, 02:48 AM

Default Cecil the lion killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
It's sad that this seems to get more attention then the human lives that are slaughtered everyday. Respect for life has gone by the wayside. Hunters (real hunters) are sone of the most respectful people I've known..
I believe he used a cross bow, not exactly a bow and arrow. Mute point in sense. However I concur with GL, human live as taken a large back seat to the anti's and their wanting to stop hunting, etc. Like right now Planned Parenthood and it's selling and making great profit on baby parts, killing by abortion and not much is being said or done by the media and politicians, but they all want this lion too be revered and something done, right now and big time. The world has lost it's priorities. Bill K
Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Administrator

pretty sure it was a vertical bow, not X-bow based on a pic I saw earlier, but nonetheless, it was at NIGHT. Ever try to shoot a bow at night? It's very difficult, even with lights. Also, I have seen hundreds of pics all over the net of this lion and not once have I seen a pic showing any sort of collar. So...at night, with a bow, easy "mistake". However, the "guides" in that area certainly were familiar with that particular lion. It is my opinion the dentist is taking the flak from this, when it should all be on the PH's back.

found the pic...definitely NOT a X-bow. And you can't see a collar.

Last edited by csterner; 07-31-2015 at 01:29 PM.