Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Default 10/22 mag magazine alteration

Some of you may know, the magnum version of the 10/22 magazine holds 9 rounds. I don't know why it isn't a 9/22, but there you have it. Pursuant to my other thread about a .17 Velociraptor 'short' I might as well spill the beans on what I'd like to do.

I want to make a short CF .17 to work in a 10/22 mag semi auto or lever action 99. The barrel would be pretty straight forward. the .17HMR barrels are 1 in 9 twist and that is what is recommend for the 5.7x28. Should work out fine to start with a .17HMR barrel, rechamber and cut the action dovetail.

And yes I have already calculated recoil bolt thrust and how to accomdate for it. I am new to this, but not stupid. I will start with twice the spring strength I calculate is needed and work down from there.

My main problem is the magazine. I cannot simply open the rotor viens to accomodate the larger OD of the five seven round and the .22 hornet is a just a tad too wide and the rim is too thick. There simply is not enough room.

What I need is to redraw that rotor to hold 8 shots instead. Am I doomed to an enormous (read unaffordable) set up fee at a machine shop to produce just a few units or is there some alternative I may not know about?

I am asking this here just because of the warehouse of knowledge about small caliber wildcats someone must have done had some similar work to this and maybe you can steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks!
Mark

Last edited by Markbo; 08-19-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Default rota mod

if you are going to rimmless case you could just remove all but the first vain,on the rota, some steyr mag work like this, the older .222 /.223
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM

It's been a long time since I did this with the 22 Epperson Cricket, but I did modify a 10/22 mag to accept the necked down 25acp wildcat. Never got the rifle to be reliable enough to try the magazine loading feature though. As I recall I did basically what Luke is suggesting and just used the last rib to drive the rest, though you could rebuild the veins as you like them with JB weld and a few cartridges coated with release agent. the rotor wasn't as much trouble as the feed lips.

Last edited by Vibe; 08-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Hmmm.. very interesting idea... just have them all stacked together instead of separated by the rotor... I might have to cut one up and give it a try!