Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default cz 527 feeding question

527 owners can you drop a shell in the chamber and close the bolt? mine feeds from the magazine but not a drop in like the original mausers did..
Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Search "CZ 527 Extractor" and you will find the subject already addressed in full....

Bill
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM

I can drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt on both of my 527s
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 AM

Foxhunter: A few years ago I called CZ Kansas City and talked to two people that said they were CZ Gunsmiths. And both of them told me the same thing. Do not try single loading a CZ 527 by dropping a loaded round into the chamber. For in there words you can break the extractor in your rifle. I also talked to the man in charge of the CZ Custom Shop in Warsaw Mo, and He told me the exact same thing. Do not try to single load a CZ 527 in this manner. They both recommended buying a Calhoun Single Shot Magazine, if I had to single load any of my CZ 527 rifles. Calhoun makes single shot magazines for CZ 527 Rifles in 22 Hornet, 17 rem, and 223`s.
ken
Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 AM

Default CZ 527 feeding question

Explain to me why loading with a calhoon setup would be any different than placing a round, say on top of the magazine and feeding it into the chamber ?
And I was under the impression that the reason for the lack or issue in feeding single shot, was the extractor not having a slight bevel and there fore it caused it to not want to slip over the brass head, with maybe damaging the extractor.
Just curious. Bill K
Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Bill you beat me to that question,like you it doesn't pass the common sense test unless there is something we don't know about the singleshot follower.
I have had true Mausers in the past that would not load singleshot,my gunsmith just modefied them so the claw would slip over the rim.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure this picture really shows how it's shaped but notice how the .17 Hornet being fire-formed is pointed upward out of that Calhoon follower.

The Calhoon follower isn't flat on top. It's a longer on one side and steeper on the other, shallow V. In the picture the rim of the case is setting at the bottom of that V and beneath the top sides of the follower.
Ya drop the round in and it lays flat across the top. As it is pushed forward by the bolt the back of the case drops down in the V and the projectile heads up. As it's pushed forward the case comes up at the front of the stroke and the rim slides up into the bolt between the extractor and bolt face just like it was coming out of the magazine and feeds the bullet into the chamber. Works a beauty!
I have a number of these and in fact, just bought one for the Triple Duce I picked up. Not because it's an improved case and feeds poorly but due to the lack of room to stretch out seating depth in those cursed stubby magazines.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 AM

Doug. That would explain then how it would work, similar to being fed from a magazine and catching the extractor. Or I should say, the extractor picking up the cartridge. Thank you. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 09-24-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Supporting Member

Here's some better pics, it's a solid piece a work made of blued steel.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:40 AM

Thanks again Doug.. That is a fine looking item James puts out. Will certainly obtain one, when I buy a 527. Bill K