Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 AM

Default Toggle press

I've seen cute little punch/toggle presses used by jewlry manuf. why wouldn't they be good for advanced bullet making.Suppose the bugaboo is the dies.Many of us have lathes and milling machines and dies are basically simple.I kick myself before I retired could have had a navy surplus nibbler,round dies would have been easy to make top and bottom,3hp motor.The cast boolit guys have gascheck making dies a jacket is just a drawn out gascheck. Frank C.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Board Sponsor

I'm not sure of the press you are talking about, but two things come into play with bullets. One is a rigid set-up to handle both the pressure and to some degree heat. Also the ability to keep all the pressure very consistant. You would be amazed how much difference is made by how fast or slow the stroke is in the difference it makes on how the bullet comes out. I'd hate to think what press flex would do, but it would not make good bullets at all. Technically dies are not hard to make, just time consuming as they are cut to "pretty close" and then lapped into very tight tolerance to leave a nice finish on the bullet as well as release the bullet from the die.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Punch presses

The pictures I've seen of commercial bullet making look like they modified common presses to automatic feed. Frank C.