Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Supporting Member

What electrode and filler are you going to use? How many amps? The only place I've seen such info is Kuhnhausen's S&W book, and I'm wondering how material specific that is,
Old 09-14-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Two "new" rifles in the barn

I would say you will have to make a longer link, etc. to hit the primer in the center. But from the looks of your talent and what you have done, thus far, you will make it come together and end up with what you want and desire. Do keep us posted, this is interesting to see your progression. Bill K
Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Supporting Member

Brownells sells a high nickel content rod that will blue or case nicely. Amps won't be much over 90 or so. The foot peddle is your friend in TIG welding.

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Gosh, I really like conversions; always have.

I know nothing about the Hepburn, other than it is a neat action for its time, and for some, still is.

The low wall has a lot of history. Made in rimfire and centerfire. The 32 rimfire low walls seem to be around, and usually after a while; get converted to centerfire something or other.

In doing or having it done, the conversion would have to show me what ifs; such as what happens if a primer blows back thru the action etc. Eyesight to myself or another is a precious thing, breeching or conversion cannot be taken too lightly.

In days past the 32-20 was loaded lightly for pistols and heavy for rifles. big time difference between the two loadings. So the case has some capabilities of real relative power.

With some of that said and usual heat taken; the rifles continued to be used in the public domain and nothing against that; but one still has to be sure that one is satisfied with the results and build in all the safety one can for themselves and others down the line.

As usual, just one opinion on such things.

Last edited by rick w.; 09-14-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Supporting Member

Great info as always Roy. Being a shooter and reloader who is in no way a smith this stuff starts going over my head rather quickly but it's always a good day when you learn something right?
I have only experienced my one "Single Shot" and it is now a .17 Killer-Bee. I'll be real interested in following your project Roy. My only experience with Single Shots other than my own is off topic, sorry.
I have a friend who knows some folks about 300 pay-grades above mine who had a Single Shot they wanted to know the particulars on so they could donate it to the Cody Museum. It is a ".45 Express". My buddy told em I could figure it out (don't know how he came up with that one?), imagine my terror when he hops outta his pickup with it to leave with me and his sweaty little claw was wrapped around the case hardened action as he brought it in without a case or anything .
I know nothing about these really except what I researched. I have no idea what it's worth but I do know it perfectly matches it's Winchester build-out sheet I bought from Cody who has all Winchester's old records, set trigger, wood up grade and all. The 45 Express was quite a round as well.
I know this is a Hi-Jack and I apologize but I've always been curious what it was worth and it seems from the posts here that someone might have an idea? Like you Roy LOL. It is I'd guess truly 99% and totally original. Got any idea Roy?

Old 09-15-2016, 04:42 AM

Roy you sure come up with some interesting things. Sure glad you share with us.
I've only ever seen one Hepburn in my life, years ago a friend purchased it from the original owner and thought I might enjoy seeing it.

Last Friday night I went to the local gun show first one for the season to buy some powder. There was a Winchester collector there selling some of his private collection surplus. While I was standing there looking an old man came up and a rifle came out of a case that was not on display. Must have been a pre-sale and the collector was just delivering it to another collector. It was an 1886 45-70 that looked brownish but looking closely the rifle had most of its original blue, they told me the bore was mint and no doubt it was as was the whole rifle. Don't know what the transaction price was but I have a pretty good idea what collector grade 86s with a few options go for.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:42 AM

Default Two "new" rifles in the barn

Highjack or not Doug.. That is one sweet looking rifle. Hope you can learn the answer to your question, but in the meantime I, for one, Thank you for sharing the photo's. Bill K
Old 09-16-2016, 04:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Roy:
I know another member on here that hasn't posted yet, but, I'd sure bet
he'd like to be the next owner once you get finished putting this back in order.
I was going to ask if you couldn't tig those damaged spots, beat me to it!
Very interesting project. Thank you for sharing with us.

Doug: That's a beauty!!
Thanks for sharing that one with us too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Supporting Member

Now that is a pretty good price for a Lo Wall, I paid almost that much for just an action. I'm looking forward to the progress on the build, are you going to convert it to a Neidner style firing pin?

I have a soft spot for rifles built on singleshot actions, bolt actions shoot great, but I'd rather walk the field with a Lo Wall, Hi Wall, Martini or another rifle built on a singleshot action.

Would love to find a mini Farquarson for a build.............Kiwi

Old 09-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Default .45 Exp High Wall

I suggest you post your High Wall inquiry on Accurate Reloading's Single Shot forum. My poorly educated guess on value would be eight to ten thousand dollars.