Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Default Mr. Reed's 17 cal. bullets and coyotes

I've mainly used Mr. Nagel's T-000 30 grain bullet for coyotes, and they have worked perfectly for me in both my 17 Remington and 17-204. The last time I called him though he would only sell 200 bullets at a time - I believe that was around May of this year. So, I decided to try Mr. Reed's (a Board sponsor!) 30 grain rebated boat tail bullet this year.

This bullet has a slightly larger hollow point than the Nagel T-000. I worked up a load using Mr. Reed's bullets and IMR 8208 powder in my CZ 527 17 Remington with a 20" barrel. Its the factory barrel that I had shortened and threaded for my suppressor. The heaviest charge that I tried grouped about 1/2" and trickled along at 3,600 fps. Probably could add more powder and get a little more velocity, but i figured this would work for now.

I went out hunting this morning to give them a try. My first stand I called in double. The lead coyote was circling down wind and I shot him, mostly straight on, at 126 yards. He tipped over without a twitch. Gus took off in hot pursuit of the second coyote and got him stopped at around 300 yards. I had the crosshairs on the coyote, but thought Gus might work him back in. Turns out I was wrong and the coyote got away.

The coyote is laying left of the end of my barrel.
[IMG][/IMG]

Kind of a reddish male. The bullet worked perfect, not even a drop of blood coming out of him.
[IMG][/IMG]

My second stand was a dud. I spotted a coyote walking into my third stand. He bedded down in some buckbrush over half mile away. I got set-up and tooted on my Critt'r Call. I don't think the distant coyote could hear me, but another coyote popped out of a cattail drain to the south. I zapped this one facing me at 202 yards and he went down without a twitch also. I kept calling and eventually got the bedded coyote headed my way and he picked up another coyote somewhere along the way. I could see by their dark appearance that they both had lice real bad on their shoulders. I let the lead coyote come into about 60 yards and shot it broadside. It went down, then got up and hobbled 10 yards or so and went down. The other coyote hung up at around 400 yards and lived to see another day.

Here's the first one, real nice male. The bullet left just a trace of blood at the entrance hole.
[IMG][/IMG]

And the ugly lice infested coyote. The bullet made a pencil sized exit hole on this one, but it was a small coyote.
[IMG][/IMG]

I tried one more stand, but the wind really picked up and I quit for the day. So with a small sample of four coyotes ( I shot one last weekend too), Mr. Reed's bullets are doing good. I'll do my best to increase the sample size soon.

Last edited by Chad; 12-17-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Awesome story. Thanks for the report.

Aaron
Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 PM

Do you plan on shooting them in your 17-204? Was wondering how they would perform going 400fps + faster.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 AM

chad, as great as always. You and Silverfox both do a great job on the details and the photos. Hope there will be more, soon.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 AM
Supporting Member

I enjoyed the photos and story, well done sir.

Tom
Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 AM

Default Mr. Reed's 17 cal. bullets and coyotes

Good story and good photo's. Thanks for sharing. Bill K
Old 12-16-2017, 02:20 AM

Thanks everyone!

pmg - I'm going to keep shooting the Nagel T-000 30 grain bullet in my 17-204.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the input. It can sure save a lot of time and effort on projects with r ports like these.
Jeff
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 AM
Supporting Member

Great Report, and shootin Chad !
You don't have snow yet ? You must be livin right !
Rifle looks Sweet ! Is that one you coated ?

Jim
Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Great story and sounds like great bullets!

Also really nice looking camo job on that CZ Chad.

Last edited by Displayed Name; 12-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.