Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Default 20 cal. Noslers?

Finishing up a 20 Practical. Looking over bullet chatter on the 'ol Interweb, I don't see a lot of shooters talking about the Noslers. I've got some of their hollow point 32's that I was going to use for barrel break in as well as the Nosler 32 gr. BTips. Rifle is a Panda with a Kreiger twisted 1:11, chambered in 20 Practical (.233 neck, .020 freebore).

Feedback on the 32 Gr Nosler BTips appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Default 20 Cal Noslers?

I shoot a lot of the 34 grain Nosler Shots ( also sold under Varmint Nightmare-Midsouth shooters & Midwayusa Dogtown names) they work great when shooting many in the ground squirrel fields. Work well on Rock chucks also.
And I shoot the 32 grain Nosler tipped, both in varmaggedon and the lead free ones. You will find they work very well and are accurate and deadly, once you work a load up, with them, for you rifle.
Watch Shooters Pro shop and the other two sources for all, as good prices. Bill K
Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

Probably a fine bullet, Nosler's generally are.....if the rifle thinks so. The reason I've never shot em is, as they say, "the right side of the menu", price. Nosler always seems to think they are worth a lot more then the competition. On a Partition for hunting I can see it but for volume rodent shooting I don't get it ?
A quick glance at Midsouth that gets most of my business and checking out the 39/40 grainers which is what I personally shoot in my 1 in 11's and I find; Hornady's 40's at $16.51 a hundred. The typically most accurate .204 bullet for me the 39 Grain BlitzKing at $22.88 and the Nosler B-Tip 40 at $25.88 . Like Bill mentioned too, I might try Nosler's tipped bulk bullet.
I think Hornady should rethink the configuration of their 40 grainers, some rifles shoot em well ( both my 1 in 11's do), but a lot of 1 in 12's don't but still and all almost $9.00 a box more for the Nosler Ballistic-Tips? Nope!
Like Bill I shoot a fair number of the bulk hollow points but other then that I have a sleeve of 500 Nosler B-Tips in my loading room a friend gave me that's missing about 20 bullets outta one box, his rifle didn't like em. I've never even got into em cause I'm afraid one of my rifles will like em and I don't wanna be buying any high dollar p-dog bullets with what I got back there already.
Congrats on the new rifle, sounds like a tack driver ! Let us know what ya come up with for load data and if you try a number of bullets I'd be real interested in what your rifle thinks, pictures are always nice .
Old 07-19-2018, 04:02 PM

I shoot the Varmageddon and BT for ground squirrels and rock chucks almost exclusively. But then I'm very close to the factory and take advantage of their seconds that are only visual blems. I can usually never find the 'blem', even using a loupe, and if I do, it's so small and minor as not to really matter.

The tipped versions are absolutely devastating on the rodents, and the accuracy in all my .20's is very good, although I'll admit that I've found that the SBK's in the same weights are a tad more accurate in my rifles, but only if measured with a digital caliper....not enough to notice in the field. I'm shooting both 11T and 12T .20 cals.

Some of my very smallest groups have been shot with their VG and BT's, always in the tipped configuration. My Cooper M38 VR in 20VT has shot groups in the .1's with the Nosler 32gr Varmageddon (factory seconds) over RL-7 if that means anything in the grand scheme. I like 'em!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM

I have no direct experience with the .20 caliber Noslers.

However, I will say the Nosler Varmageddon Tipped bullets in .22 caliber are some of the most accurate I've ever used in several of my rifles.

And, like Rick, I take advantage of their "2nds". I've shot just as many "2nds".....in my life as the firsts. They seem to shoot just as well

My favorite .22 cal bullet is the 40gr Nosler Tipped Varmageddon. They tend to explode even more than the V maxes.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 07-20-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Clarifying statement
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 PM

i was using hornandy v max in my 17 hh but they were so inconsistant i tried some nostler varmagedion and i wont be going back there shuch a better bullet shot to shot , good luck with your project
Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiter1 View Post
i was using hornandy v max in my 17 hh but they were so inconsistant i tried some nostler varmagedion and i wont be going back there shuch a better bullet shot to shot , good luck with your project

I had much better luck with Varmageddon Tipped 20gr in my 17 HH as well. Very nice bullet.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:32 PM

I tried them in two Practicals, a 1-10 and 1-11. For MY rifles similar accuracy to the Blitzkings and Vmax didn't justify the cost. I have gravitated to the 40 grain BIBs. I found them to be the most accurate bullet in both. I recently built another Practical and the BIBs shine in it too. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Here's a quick pic of the rig.

As mentioned, Kelbly Panda R/R, Kelbly HBR stock, Jewell trigger with safety, Kreiger 11 twist Remington Varmint profile barrel chambered by 'Humble' Henry Rivers in 20 Practical, .233 no turn neck, .020 freebore.

Other components are Redding's full length bushing die with floating carbide neck i.d. button, Wilson arbor seater, Lapua 223 cases, Dewey rod, etc. Half a thousand BIB 40's are enroute and that's what I'll use for load development. For other bullets, I've got the aforementioned Noslers, some VMaxes, several hundred Berger 35 gr. flat bases and some Sierra BK's. On hand powders are 133, 4198, H322, Benchmark, 8208, etc.

For initial load work, a trusted, known-good BR scope will be on it to remove that variable.

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 07-20-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Default 20 Cal. Noslers ?

That looks like a very nice rifle and set up, sound good. You should be able to find a load that it likes and it will serve you well. Thanks for sharing the photo. Bill K ( By the way what is the website/etc on BIB bullets ?)