Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2022, 04:33 AM

Default The workshop task I hate more than any other

and nothing else comes close.

Loading sheets of sandpaper in my 3M rubber sanding blocks. You know the ones, they have three spikes on each side.

I have a half dozen or more and I get irked even thinking about changing the sheets out. I have tried loading up five or six before starting on a stock and I have tried changing them as needed and I still hate it with a red hot passion.

I’ve bought forty eleven others, but none suited me. I use detail sanding blocks from Rockler that you just pinch the sheets to and I’m fine with them and some other odds and ends, but for expanses of butt stock or foreend sanding and wide curves nothing suits me but the old 3M rubber blocks. Sanding sponges are good to a point, but not for the final smoothing out. I use them, but only to a point. They leave sanding waves and ripples in the grain that the solid rubber blocks don’t.

I think that if I had a rubber block with the Velcro type of sticky on the face and up around the ends that might be the ticket. My Bosch palm sander uses them and I think highly of them.

I really like those 3M blocks, I get hours of pleasure using them, but loading the damnable things makes me want to spit.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-23-2022 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:21 PM
Supporting Member

how many times have you pulled the rubber back just a little too far and it breaks off
Old 09-23-2022, 03:18 PM

A few times. Normally it is a fight to get the sheets tight to the block w/o them hanging up on the spikes that hold it.

I have tried the plastic blocks and the sponge they put on them is way too soft and leaves waves and even if they didn't, the hollow plastic does not transmit the feel the way the rubber does.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-23-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
how many times have you pulled the rubber back just a little too far and it breaks off
I have had one of those for 30 years, and it has never happened, nor is it a big deal to load the block with new sandpaper

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:52 PM

I have had a couple of the red ones I have had since the 1960’s break.

I know! Nobody else seems to have the issue I have loading them. I really would not ever want to be without them, but it is a fight every time for me to get sheets in them.

I suppose I can keep that in mind when others are struggling with something that I just do without even thinking about it. It’s not that I have not had a lot of opportunities to practice.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:24 AM

Default Update

I was in Rockler picking up some rotten stone last week and for some unknown to me reason picked up one of their rubber sanding blocks that was sitting there. It is the same configuration as a 3M rubber block, but the rubber is softer and impressed me would not be such a fight to load. I bought a couple and am so thoroughly pleased with them that I’m going to go ahead and buy a few more and put the 3M ones out to pasture. I like to keep sanding blocks sitting here loaded with various types and grit of sand paper so I can just grab the one I want and they are ready.