Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Supporting Member

I looked for peening the first time that I looked at the rifle and I saw none. I'm no RF expert, but that is pretty much an issue that I would look for with any older RF gun whether the design allows it or not.

The gun shop where it is has set it aside for me. $160 plus tax and I'm out the door tomorrow.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Crikey! I work at a gun shop part time and I've gotten some deals, but wow, you done good.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:51 PM

That's a nice deal...
Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm still not sure why this rifle caught my attention, but it did. I immediately thought that $160 was an exceptional price for the rifle/scope combination, but yet I told myself that I really had no use for it. The Model 581 numbers, however, rang a loud bell for me from reading about Model 581 rifles here. But a Model 581 was not something that I had been seeking.

Normally I see a 22 LR RF rifle and my brain says you don't need that. Even though the price was very low on this good looking rifle, I thought maybe I wasn't seeing something so I didn't just dump a card on the counter and walk out with it. Hence my questions here.

Anyway.......... I asked the questions here that I asked and no one said, "Run, Forest, run", and the rifle for some reason stayed on the GS shelf for a couple of days, so tomorrow I guess it comes home with me. I'm actually anxious to play with this miniature Model 788... And maybe that's the answer to why it caught my attention as my first CF rifle that I bought myself years ago was a Model 788 in 22-250. In recent years I've found myself noticing and being drawn to more old rather than new rifles. Now I need to drag it along the next time I go to a range with a couple of CF rifles to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe later this week......

Thanks again......... And with that, I need to finish this maybe incoherent rambling.....

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-11-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Safely at home........... Just some poorly lighted cell phone pics, but it gives a fairly good representation of the old gal.

-BCB

Old 12-11-2019, 04:00 PM

I would say you found a very sweet deal on that rifle. Bill K
Old 12-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Oh man - yes - what a deal. so - Winchester T22's.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Daryl and BCB: Agreed on Win T-22. The last time I took out my 1926 vintage Win M52, I had some old T-22, and it shot 11/16" for 5 at 100yds, using the factory peeps. That was better than I can usually do with peeps any more. Shot a few more groups and figured I was pushing my luck and went on to another rifle.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 PM

I bought a 541s when they firsy came out, I believe in the early 80s. Eley or RWS match ammo,, WOW. Still have it, in excellant condition. What a pretty little rifle they are.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:23 PM

Wyoming Drifter. Just an FYI, my older 541S has a February 1973 SN, and my newer one has a 1983 SN. Remington has a SN translator on one of their websites.