Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2022, 04:33 AM

Default The workshop task I hate more than any other

and nothing else comes close.

Loading sheets of sandpaper in my 3M rubber sanding blocks. You know the ones, they have three spikes on each side.

I have a half dozen or more and I get irked even thinking about changing the sheets out. I have tried loading up five or six before starting on a stock and I have tried changing them as needed and I still hate it with a red hot passion.

I’ve bought forty eleven others, but none suited me. I use detail sanding blocks from Rockler that you just pinch the sheets to and I’m fine with them and some other odds and ends, but for expanses of butt stock or foreend sanding and wide curves nothing suits me but the old 3M rubber blocks. Sanding sponges are good to a point, but not for the final smoothing out. I use them, but only to a point. They leave sanding waves and ripples in the grain that the solid rubber blocks don’t.

I think that if I had a rubber block with the Velcro type of sticky on the face and up around the ends that might be the ticket. My Bosch palm sander uses them and I think highly of them.

I really like those 3M blocks, I get hours of pleasure using them, but loading the damnable things makes me want to spit.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-23-2022 at 04:37 AM.