Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM

Default 17 AH advise

Been planning on rechambering a Contender Mach2 into 17Ackley Hornet. I've got the donor barrel and have put a 100 rounds or so thru it.Doesn't impress me as being a shooter, very inconsistent. Tried all my Contender/Encores trick to get it to shoot better, no luck. What to do, recrown and hope that helps, sell the barrel as is and invest in a Bullberry or Ott setup.Only 7 months till April when the new crop of woodchucks start showing up!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default been down a similar road,,,

found an old H&R single shot in .44 Rem Mag [neat rifle in itself,,another one I should have kept??!!]. Also bought a NEF in 17HMR. Test fitted the 17HMR barrel SUCCESFULLY to the older H&R [centerfire] receiver,,,locked up nicely,,full bolt contact, etc. Well, I shot and shot the 17HMR barrel 'as is' and could only get a best of 3/4" at FIFTY yards on a friend's indoor range. I backed out of that project. THEN, a friend sent me a NEW T/C Contender barrel in 17HMR with the intention of making it a 17Ah,,so I test fired first,,same thing,,unacceptable accuracy. Told him that instead of putting the hours of fitting/machine work in it 'hoping for it to improve as a 17AH,,,,I would return it to T/C as is for an exchange. If I touch it with a cutting tool, it would be 'his'.
Always thought an inexpensive 17 Ackley Hornet in a break barrel single shot would be 'nice'.
Will just keep single loading them into my CZ bolt rifle I guess.
Alan in GA
{just figured out I had to REregister to get back on the new forum!}
Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 PM

Default glad you made it over.

sorry about the re-register thing. glad you made it back and hope you like the new forum.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up 17AH is great but a 19Calhoon is better...

I have both and rechambered 17HMR to 17AH and then bought a 19 Calhoon and the 19 is by far more fun, practicle, and effective. Research the 19 it might intrest you. My accuracy of the 17HMR converted barrel to 17AH was an improvement. It cost me $95 for a rechamber job.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2131 View Post
I have both and rechambered 17HMR to 17AH and then bought a 19 Calhoon and the 19 is by far more fun, practicle, and effective. Research the 19 it might intrest you. My accuracy of the 17HMR converted barrel to 17AH was an improvement. It cost me $95 for a rechamber job.

He's right, you can't beat the .19 Calhoon for a Hornet based cartridge.
Bill
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Default already invested in dies and bullets....

Guess I got too far ahead of myself. For my first small caliber, the 17ah got my attention. Figure I can still get my money out of the barrel, maybe sell one of other seldom used TC barrels(45 WinMag?) and then go to a specialty shop.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default your going to like the 17AH,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewrench View Post
Guess I got too far ahead of myself. For my first small caliber, the 17ah got my attention. Figure I can still get my money out of the barrel, maybe sell one of other seldom used TC barrels(45 WinMag?) and then go to a specialty shop.
After owning one for about 5 years and taking it to Montana for ground squirrels on 4 seperate trips, I've got about 4,000+ rounds thru my CZ 527 in 17 Ackley Hornet. It has been my favorite rifle of ALL the rifles I've ever owned,,and still is. I could possibly try and like the 19 Calhoun better,,but I believe either one will be FUN! Do the 17 AH and then do a 19 Calhoun if you'd like.
But since you're already getting equipped for the 17AH,,,you won't regret doing the 17AH~!