Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Supporting Member

Default starting to plan for next project

It seems like almost everyone has a 17 AH, and I have some questions:
1. What is a reasonable expectation of accuracy and velocity with a 20 gr v-max.
2. What is a good barrel length? I am thinking 21-23 inches - too long?
3. How does n-120 work with the 20 gr v-max? I am already using this in another cartridge.
4. To neck turn or not? Does it affect accuracy enough to make it worthwhile?
5. what are my die options?
6. How well does using the seater without the stem and then the sizer work for forming brass?
7. I was thinking of headspacing off the shoulder rather than off the rim, and using a false shoulder when fireforming. has anyone tried this as opposed to headspacing on the rim? Has anyone tried both?

I am sure there will be others down the line, I am just in pre-planning mode and I like to think things out ahead of time. Any and all answers appreciated.

Drew
Old 09-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Drew, I do all my forming and loading for the AH with a double end die I made myself. 20gr vmax @ 2400 for blackbird work, fire forming and tree squirrel hunting. Kevin Weaver chambered a 17 Rem CZ barrel to AH for me and I couldn't be more pleased. Kenny
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
It seems like almost everyone has a 17 AH, and I have some questions:
1. What is a reasonable expectation of accuracy and velocity with a 20 gr v-max.
**That really depends on quality of barrel/chamber/loads. But 1/2" or less isn't difficult.

2. What is a good barrel length? I am thinking 21-23 inches - too long?
**Both of mine are 20" long, one a Contender carbine the other a Ruger bolt gun. It's a good-handling length. We're only talking 12-13gr. powder and longer just isn't necessary.

3. How does n-120 work with the 20 gr v-max? I am already using this in another cartridge.
**It's awesome in this cartridge, the fastest stuff I've tried. For years I shot W680, then went to AA1680 and thought that was good until trying VV120 and getting another 125fps.

4. To neck turn or not? Does it affect accuracy enough to make it worthwhile?
**Completely unnecessary. Don't even bother. Hornet necks are already very thin and you won't see any difference in accuracy by turning. Annealing new brass is also unnecessary.

5. what are my die options?
**RCBS has worked fine for me.

6. How well does using the seater without the stem and then the sizer work for forming brass?
**Some have said their FL sizer didn't form brass. I think it depends on the die....maybe the inside finish, maybe how sharp the neck/shoulder corner is, maybe both. If the FL sizer doesn't work, try the seater. If that doesn't work and you don't have MachIV form dies, Bullberry has a double sided die and using .20cal hole before a FL die works fine. I formed 2,000 cases with just one pass in the FL die and didn't lose any.

7. I was thinking of headspacing off the shoulder rather than off the rim, and using a false shoulder when fireforming. has anyone tried this as opposed to headspacing on the rim? Has anyone tried both?
**Fireforming a necked-down case like that, always headspace on the false shoulder. Even with a rimmed case and a T/C, give it a little tension to where you know the headspace is touching. With a bolt gun, I'd go with more crush. Remember.....gas is wanting to go around the neck and past the shoulder, and the shoulder along with lots of body has to blow out quite a ways. So having contact with a false shoulder seals against gas going where it'll disrupt forming.

I am sure there will be others down the line, I am just in pre-planning mode and I like to think things out ahead of time. Any and all answers appreciated.

Drew
You're gonna love this cartridge. Have one built on a T/C carbine and it'll be about the most useful gun you have.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Supporting Member

Default Ackman save me lots of typing,,,,

and I would add that although I still use 1680,,,N 120 must be the perfect powder,,,,the one thing I remember is it is so CLEAN burning compared to 1680. It also gave the fastest velocity for the buddies here in the 17AH clan. I'm not sure why I'm not using it myself~!
When I read about this round 20 years or so ago, I remember reading about "pressure excursions",,and blown primers,,super expanded cases. It was text that had me thinking I'd better load powder granule by granule with tweezers if I wanted to keep my eyebrows from being blown off ---as Jack O'Conner used to say "POPPYCOCK!" This round is very even tempered and EASY to load for, shoot, clean,,,all that is involved. You can be stupid with it just like ANY other handloaded round and get problems, but I find it a puppy dog round that as I still say,,the "funnest round" I've had lots of years.
The 17 Ackley Hornet is one of those rounds that everyone needs to have and try at least once!
Still liking mine after, oh,,5 or 7 years I guess.
Wish I had built one LONG BEFORE I finally did.
Alan in GA
Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default Fantastic Fun Cartridge!

Only question not answered was barrel length.

I have 20, 22, and 24 inch 17AH's. They all shoot good. The chamber volume is about as important as the length of the barrel. Although it is not meant as a "1000 yard" gun, but is very useable on even groundhogs out to 200 yards, there is some value in the longer barrel. But, since it usually is built up on a lighter action, it makes a fantastic light totin' piece, so the shorter barrel is warranted.

My favorite has a 22 inch barrel.

Alex
Old 09-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default How about brass?

Does one or the other seem to be more consistent between Remington and Winchester?
Thanks,
Drew
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default mine.......

always gets fed Winchester brass,,,,a few prefer Remington.
Mine has 22.5" of barrel. I leave it that long because we shoot out of Suburban windows while riding in the pastures. If I'm 'back left',,the driver in front of me likes the longer barrels!!