Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2006, 11:27 PM

Default I need help with a .17 rimfire (HM2) decision.

I love to squirrel hunt. My favorite rifle has been a 77/22VBZ stainless heavy bbl. It has a Volquartzen (SP?) sear and is bedded. I've slimmed the pistol grip down just a little and I like this rifle. I'd like to rebarrel to HM2 with a Green Mountain barrel and would like to hear from folks that have done this already. How did yours work out? Did it group well? Did that short barrel mess up the nice balance and feel of this rifle?? Come on boys and spill your guts to help out this old man. Thanks for your time. BigUn...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and get a CZ. You won't be sorry.
Bill
Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default Here is my 77/17 HM2 and a CZ 17HM2

I shot em both this weekend just to see and it was hard because I like em both however if one "had" to go it would be the CZ.

I did not shoot any groups, no time and heading out for peewee FB game right now...

Both shoot off hand very well, I like both triggers, I definitely like the 10 rd mag over the CZ and the shorter barrel may not be nothing to look at but it does seem very handy.

Out in a PD field the 77/17HM2 got used the most last spring???
Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 AM

Default Opinion + bloody critter

Out west we have ground squirrels, nothing like those in your picture. On these little guys the HM2 is a great round! I popped a few dozen in the spring and just today I got to take out a 77/17 with a Green Mountain fluted just like you are describing and hit some jackrabbits. Shot placement is more important than with 17HMR but a bit less than .22lr. Head shots are called for but solid boiler room hits turn out lights to 100yds, outside of the critical target area the jacks die but not as clean. Squirrels give it up much more easily and the HM2 is very humane on the smaller critters.
The Green Mountain barrel is a really good shooter, mine likes CCI better than Hornady, with 3-9x40 it is no challenge to group 1/2" at 50 yds. The short barrel looks a little funny to me but the balance and handling is not bad, the weight is very centered at the reciever and makes for quick handling and very handy little rifle, gives up a little stability but makes up for it by being quick and light and easy to carry.
The pic is exit side of head shot at about 30 yards, it was pretty much empty. You can imagine the result on a squirrel with similar hit.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM

You may want to check out CDNN the last I heard they had Anschutz 1502 rifles for $399
Scott
Old 09-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Elliott View Post
You may want to check out CDNN the last I heard they had Anschutz 1502 rifles for $399
Scott

They also have CCI HM2 ammunition for 3.99 and shipping is only $13.00 no matter how much ammunition you order.
Bill

Last edited by rpbill56; 09-26-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Thanks guys, this is indeed the kind of info I was

looking for. I don't want a CZ or a new rifle period. Whoops, did I really say that??? Any way, I like this stock since I worked on it some. The Volquartzen trigger system just can't be beat and like Gary, I like the rotary mag of the Ruger. Perhaps the GM barrel is just what I'm looking for. Thanks again gents.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I got one in a NEF single shot. First try on prairie dogs was a great disappointment.

Shot two, one was an obvious head shot. Drove down to the other end and shot more going and coming. When I got back about 1/2 hr, 45 min later. Walked out to check out the "meat damage".

Half the head was gone, just fine. The other had been laying across the hole and made a center body hit under the spine about where the diaphram would be. The exit hole wasn't more than half inch, just a red splotch, entrance was a red speck. I didn't get down and take a close look because of the flea situation around here.

That one was laying there STILL ALIVE!!! This wasn't over a 75yd shot either.

That's enough to make me feel it NOT gun enough for p/dog's, at least not for full grown one's. OR body shots unless on pups. Once there's a good scope on this gun and I've learned it well enough to make tight shots, then it'll be limited to head shots within 100yds. Until then, I'll be going back to a .223. No question about DEAD or not with that.

Paul: That's a nice exit hole in that jack's head. Results like that I would like and would expect.

Am debating about using this M2, or the HMR I'll pick up next week for the conversion we've been talking about.
Sure wish I could find about 1500 more 5.7 cases. Then I'd go ahead with the .17x28mm. Lacking brass enough to justify it. May go ahead with the .17 Mink IF I can get a drawing for it to make a chamber reamer from.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 09-29-2006 at 06:27 AM. Reason: want to add more and correct a typo