Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM

Default lets not put words in his mouth.

I didn't say and didn't intend to mean that Dave Kiff thought that a reamer with 0 freebore is safe for use with factory ammo. What I did say is that Dave is going to make MY reamer with 0 freebore which is what I wished I had done with my Javelina reamer. How many of us with custom guns are going to use them with factory ammo? My intention isn't to shoot loaded ammo in my gun. It may very well be fine. The reamer that I will use myself will have 0 freebore, so that i can shoot the 25 grain GOLD's and the 25 grain v-max's and the 30 grain Berger boattails and even the 20 grain v-max, with the bullet able to reach the lands. I'd guess that a lot of gunsmiths will order a SAAMI spec reamer when they chamber guns for customers that intend to shoot factory ammo. I don't really know how that works, what gunsmiths order for this type of thing, but guess that they will tighten up the specs some as well.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default Jim, I didn't even think of that aspect of it.

Although I was wondering if a factory round would chamber. Sorry, I wasn't trying to make something out of it. Kenny
Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Default no worries.

a factory round should chamber fine in a custom tight chamber so long as it isn't a tight neck chamber. The headspace should be the same, the dimensions that will get tightened up are the size at the base of the case through the case body, the neck, and the freebore. i want to have a chamber that is close in size to the factory brass, no neck turning required but minimum clearance so that you could neck turn if you wanted to without having a lot of clearance that would in turn work the necks of the cases excessively. the reasoning for having a tighter fit throughout the case is that otherwise, FL sizing is working the brass a lot to get it back down to the size of the unfired case specs after being fired in a big (factory spec) chamber. I would also presume that this is the reason that some folks see a large advantage to neck sizing alone on some factory guns, the brass is a closer fit to the chamber and gets worked less and lasts longer as a result.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Supporting Member

I was going to ask what bullet(s) and how fast are they advertising this to fly? After going through 7 pages of info I either missed it or was not there. Here is what i pulled up on the net...
Remington .17 Fireball Remington introduces the .17 Remington Fireball, a new factory cartridge based on the .221 Fireball and the wildcat .17 Mach IV. Loaded with a 20-grain AccuTip-V Bullet, the cartridge is 1.570" long and offers 4,000 fps velocity. Remington is chambering four rifles in the new cartridge in 2007.
Does anyone know if they are planning to also load the 25 gr bullets???
I also hear rumors that the 17 Remington is discontinued??? If this is true then they really missed a golden opportunity with Hornady’s 25 gr V-Max bullets…. What a great combo???

Sorry I have not kept up with the new news like I probably should have… Guess that I have other 17business that has been occupying the limited amount of space I have upstairs….

Last edited by GLWenzl; 01-27-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph