Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 05:17 PM

I can't visualize your clearance problem, but there are lots of different height rings. Plus, Burris Signature inserts can get you up to another .020" height....several times those things gave just enough clearance for a big scope to fit on a heavy barrel.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Thanks Ackman,
I realize a lot of folks on this websight are not necessarilly military rifle buffs, so thus you and the others may or may not be familiar with the AR15 rifle. I don't know if you are, so I thought I'd attach this photo which you might find interesting....being you have been very kind with the time you're spending with me.

It is my intent to stick with this top quality manufactured Larue quick-detachable base which easilly maintains a zero whether the scope is on or off of the rifle. Not having a scope affixed firmly to the rifle affords me the option of alternating between scope or iron sight shooting. When the scope is removed from the rifle top (in just seconds), the aperature window in that low profile BUIS (back-up-iron sight) can then be instantly sprung up into use.

Having all this special hardware on my rifle does produce certain perameters and limits as to what will fit. However, many Burris and Weaver scopes a have 38mm and 39 mm occular tube that will easilly fit over the BUIS, unlike the 40mm Bushnell ocular eye piece which is likely too big. So, I can still pretty much have my cake and eat it too.....as long as I don't demand that my scope just has to be a Bushnell Elite.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Weaver mil-dot

While I'm normally a Weaver fan, I have to agree with others here that the Weaver mil-dots are obnoxiously HUGE. Excellent optics, but the reticle makes the scope a no-buy.

- Off the rock, under the tree, through the grass...nuthin' but mist.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:42 PM

Tom,

Actually, on this thread I only see a comment from Ray about the Mil-Dot being too large on his Bushnell 3200 Elite scope (not the Weaver) But, now I'm hearing it from you, and it seems I've heard it at least from one other person, that the Weaver is the same dang deal.

Even with my ugly black rifles, I am not a casual paper punching kind of guy, and I'll be unhappy with crude large mil-dot reticles.

Geeez.... Back to square one again shopping for a scope. I could buy a 6.5 X-20X Burris fullfield scope..... but ouch, another $125 just to get a sharper mil-dot reticle. ($329 VS $450!!)

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-30-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Supporting Member

Glad you posted the pic, I had a hard time visualizing the ocular hitting the sight. Thats why I added the obj. That 1.600 measurement was really 1.59x but I wouldn't trust what the next one out of the factory would measure.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Tom,

Actually, on this thread I only see a comment from Ray about the Mil-Dot being too large on his Bushnell 3200 Elite scope (not the Weaver) But, now I'm hearing it from you, and it seems I've heard it at least from one other person, that the Weaver is the same dang deal.

Even with my ugly black rifles, I am not a casual paper punching kind of guy, and I'll be unhappy with crude large mil-dot reticles.

Geeez.... Back to square one again shopping for a scope. I could buy a 6.5 X-20X Burris fullfield scope..... but ouch, another $125 just to get a sharper mil-dot reticle. ($329 VS $450!!)

Yep the weaver has large Mill dots for sure....

About the cost??? Hey when it is someone else’s money I can spend it real good!! You see if you figure over the life of the scope the added cost would probably be less than a penny a day....Maybe a dollar a hunt or even .05 every time you used it....
Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Tom,

I should have paid closer attention to who was saying what. But anyway, I do think you'd be disappointed with the Weaver mil-dot. I own a Bushnell Legend 5-15X with mil-dot. Don't know if the Elite series has a different mil-dot reticle, but compared to Weaver my Bushnell has tiny mil-dots. I'd recommend going to a sporting goods store and peering through some scopes before making your decision.

- Off the rock, under the tree, through the grass...nuthin' but mist.