Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Supporting Member

• Hmmm, a buck a round… MSRP: $25.27 /25 rounds… what was the numbers thrown out the other day to reload it?? I forgot.. Nice add they have on their web site
Check this one out…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vfPorBkt-mM The elephant gave me a rush just seeing it…. also a great looking Hornet by Hornady!!!!

If I understand correctly
Hornady comes out with a 17 HH
Hornady makes their own bullets
Hornady makes their own brass
Hornady makes their own dies
Hornady has their own special blend of powder for the 17 HH

Sounds like Hornady is pretty much in control of a lot of things here, (not sure about the chambers though) so the brass should be a good fit to the dies, hopefully they will offer nk dies as well for this lil guy, it will save the average reloader joe some headaches and a better shooting rig.

Wonder if they will publish data for the 17 HH w/the new powder and make it available to the averave joe like myself???
Wonder if this brass will be anything like what I read on the other thread, someone mentioned smaller flash holes? Wonder if the flash holes will be centered to the case unlike a lot of what I have seen in the past from win/rem
Wonder if there will be other bullet weights to follow?
Wonder what this means for Cooper, T/C, Bullberry and the likes, a new reamer????

I did not ever think the HMR would take off like it did but if this darn thing catches on half as good there’s going to be a lot of shooting going on.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 11-04-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Supporting Member

According to Muleriders link it is definitely based on the 22Hornet case and uses a 25* shoulder. Case length is a tad shorter due to expanding body (less body taper) and the 25* shoulder, but the COAL is same as Hornady factory 22H ammo. What I found most interesting is that Hornady will be using their Superformance powder in it. Man this must be some extremely versatile powder.

P.S. Looking at Gary's comparison pic of the two cases looks like the 17Ah may have a tad bit more case capacity.

Last edited by Larry in VA; 11-04-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Personally, I don't see a need between the 17HMR and the 17FB. I wish Hornady would have just started loading 17FB ammo instead!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Personally, I don't see a need between the 17HMR and the 17FB. I wish Hornady would have just started loading 17FB ammo instead!!
First off I want to say I know its your personal opinion and I respect that. I just wanted to put why I think this this cartridge is a great idea out there. I also wish Hornady would produce FB ammo

I have a 17 HMR and 17 FB. Having a cartridge more capable than the HMR but with less powder than the FB I think is great. It gets quite windy here in Idaho which the hornet will have a big advantage over the HMR and most of my shooting is around 250 yards. I will be buying a 17 hornet as soon as one is available.

I think something between 17 HMR and the 17FB is great for a few reasons. First off its reloadable and for varmints out to 250 yards (300 yards and farther is possible) which a lot of my varmint shooting is limited to I think it will work great for. I think the less powder used the better and with that comes less noise and recoil which only ads to the fun. Another benefit is less powder fowling. So something that gets everything done the 17FB does out to 250 or so yards, but with added benefits I think is great.

The 17 HMR is limited some what to about 100 yards because I know when it starts to get windy shots start to get pretty tough at about 135-150 yards and of course the 17 Hornet will have a big advantage in those kind of conditions. Don't get me wrong the HMR is a great cartridge, I have one and it accompanies quite often when I go varmint shooting. I just like the benefits of the 17 hornet. It gets quite windy here in Idaho.

For those of us who reload less powder is also beneficial when it comes to the money. I have figured out that once you get past the initial cost of the brass it is cheaper to reload the 17 hornet than it is to buy 17 HMR by a few of dollars. Its comes out to about $3 cheaper, its only $3 but I like the idea of saving $3
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Well said...

GREAT post!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Default Need for 17HH....

Anyone that has a Hornet &/or its derivative cartridges would definitely vote for this cartridge, knowing first-hand its capabilities!
Bill
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Supporting Member

I'm all for the caliber and will be anxious waiting until I can have one in my hands in either a Ruger or a Cooper. I have a 17m2, four 17HMR's, one 17AH, 17FB, 17TAC, and 17REM. All the smaller stuff below the 17TAC has alot of "fun factor" to it and each caliber will do something better than the one thats underneath it, each one has its place for me, I love them all.

Suprised nobody has mentioned the Kimber of Oregon 17hornet in this thread. Kimber used to chamber it, wonder how much different, if any.... the new 17HH will be from the original Kimber chambering?

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.

Last edited by RebelSquirrel; 11-04-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: forgot 17REM
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
First off I want to say I know its your personal opinion and I respect that. I just wanted to put why I think this this cartridge is a great idea out there. I also wish Hornady would produce FB ammo

I have a 17 HMR and 17 FB. Having a cartridge more capable than the HMR but with less powder than the FB I think is great. It gets quite windy here in Idaho which the hornet will have a big advantage over the HMR and most of my shooting is around 250 yards. I will be buying a 17 hornet as soon as one is available.

I think something between 17 HMR and the 17FB is great for a few reasons. First off its reloadable and for varmints out to 250 yards (300 yards and farther is possible) which a lot of my varmint shooting is limited to I think it will work great for. I think the less powder used the better and with that comes less noise and recoil which only ads to the fun. Another benefit is less powder fowling. So something that gets everything done the 17FB does out to 250 or so yards, but with added benefits I think is great.

The 17 HMR is limited some what to about 100 yards because I know when it starts to get windy shots start to get pretty tough at about 135-150 yards and of course the 17 Hornet will have a big advantage in those kind of conditions. Don't get me wrong the HMR is a great cartridge, I have one and it accompanies quite often when I go varmint shooting. I just like the benefits of the 17 hornet. It gets quite windy here in Idaho.

For those of us who reload less powder is also beneficial when it comes to the money. I have figured out that once you get past the initial cost of the brass it is cheaper to reload the 17 hornet than it is to buy 17 HMR by a few of dollars. Its comes out to about $3 cheaper, its only $3 but I like the idea of saving $3
Hi andy 221
Check out new 17 hornady on 10/16/2011 that gives you what it costs the UK shooter for 17 hornet 22 hornet and 17hmr
Wally
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM

wally

I wasnt able to find it. Is the thread called "new 17 hornet"? I am guessing you are saying that 17 hornet ammo is pretty expensive over there?

In case there was some confusion I was comparing the price to reloading the hornet round to buying 17 HMR.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Supporting Member

Cool

If someone comes out with a 17 HH and it has a pic of the Hornady Hornet logo.... I'll be first in line and will get their dies too .. yeah, I still have a lot of kid in me