Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Heck Bob!
I think the purpose of a rimfire is to be cheap to shoot! This HMR stuff is expensive! Just makes me that much more happy to reload the 17s, 19s, 20s, 22s, and 24s. Have not gotten into the 10s, 12s, 13.141316s yet! Waiting to see how they work out for you!
I think you got it! Tinman....just a faster lighter weight composite bullet to shoot where lead is a No-No!

Bill
p.s.
wonder what a Uberti with a Green Mountain barrel in a 20 Calhoon would be like?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Supporting Member

Never 19... well never say never but its only a few thou smaller than a 20 and just too many 20 cal stuff available....

Sure would be easy to take 5mm centurion brass neck it down and make a hotter 17...

But how about the 18 caliber stuff... like Ray H said in his post and identified that they already make 18 cal barrels and here is a pic of the bullets

Talk about a nice looking caliber???

maybe some nice new actions???

Last edited by GLWenzl; 12-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 AM

Default Anyone seen those 27 cal power loads at home depot?

I wonder what a 27 caliber rimfire necked down to 20 caliber would do. It wouldn't be the cheapest rimfire, but it would be suitable for PD shooting for non-reloaders.

Greg
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Supporting Member

If they want to sell these they better make it feed from an auto loader... nothing much more fun than a rf 17 spring time pd town
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Eric- since you already know what this round is, can you tell us this? Others that have inside info have said it is faster than what is available by a considerable margin. Is a considerable margin in rimfire terms, 100,200, 500fps. or is it more?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Supporting Member

Great posts everyone… I love it when a subject gets us all putting our heads together and brainstorming on the possibilities. Gives me things to think about that would normally pass me right by.
I agree, if’n ole WW don’t keep the $ down it’ll go the way of my favorite rimfire the 17Mk2.
I’m thinkin a 5mm Mag necked down to a 17 cal with shoulders slightly blown out. That would be really cool and fast (and also not cheap).
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default let's look at it this way.....

What do we WANT the new 'thing' to be??
I'd like a super high velocity 17HMR. 15 grain or maybe lighter bullet that destabilizes in less than 200 yards of flight.
Would that make it a safer aerial shooter?
I think a .20HMR might be a success except for the fact that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy one.....just haven't been 'hooked' by the .20 faze.
A .14 cal....hmm...might be interesting!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Eric- since you already know what this round is, can you tell us this?
I actually don't know what the round is and the folks that do know are being more tight-lipped on this than any time before. When I am told that there are non-disclosure agreements that are not allowing even the marketing team to talk about it, I get the feeling that nut won't get cracked!

The folks I spoke with did state that they would have ammo and a chance to shoot it at the Media Day for the "Press" the day before the SHOT Show starts. I'm on the list to be there, so I'll know more then (I hope).

Eric B)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Supporting Member

Default New caliber??

When you said new caliber and it's a rimfire I guess that rules out 17 and 22 calibers as they are currently offered in some form, correct? You would have to think in this economy and with the past history of other offerings that it would take in the availability of existing components. Can't see them trying to reinvent the wheel so a 20 cal "something" seems like the only logical thing. But..the phrase Worlds Fastest Rimfire seems to suggest a 17 or smaller but the 17 isn't a new caliber? Maybe a 14cal on either the HMR or HM2 case, that would be new and would appeal to those that are jaded "like us". So, new caliber(14cal), fastest rimfire(3K), now who is the manufacturer....probably Savage with TC barrels being the next offering. Yep, that's the ticket...a 14 cal HMR, speeds approaching 3K, couple of existing barrel makers out there, it's new but hush hush for now.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Winchester Speculation

It just has to be a .20 cal.. They seem to have all the rest covered.. A new version of the 20 rimfire would be great. Maybe more and better than the old 5mm. Bill K