Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Default Barrel cleaning

Harold,

In reviewing your chart of data I noticed your "groups since cleaned" column. Do I understand that you are, in most cases, cleaning after every 5 shots? I see mostly 0 and 1 in this column. From all the entries it would seem that the barrel would have been broken in by this time. Am I not understanding this correctly or is this a normal part of your shooting routine?

Like others here, I am happy to see you using one of the "little fellows" in competition. Congratulations!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Way to go man!

Just looking at our targets gives me hope. I'm having Kelbly's build me an SPG on a Haverkamp action. Shooting 222 1/2 first then wanted to try the mighty Vartag when my barrel arrives. I think I will PM you about the equipment specifics tomorrow for a little help.

Anyhow looking at the targets tells me you are reading the wing well enough to compete at very high level. The vertical though... Do you have scheme to clean up the tune.? If going up then down or in and out, may I suggest you try RL-7?

Now you might be thinking who the f%ck is this knucklehead! Answer is simple I, just a guy want to do exactly what your doing and wanting to help if I could and perhaps get mentored even by proxy if need be.

Very excited about this whole thing you are Doing as you can tell. Please keep me informed if possible, would love to see targets with the vert cleaned up.

Harold's on it baby!

Tim jurczakk
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Supporting Member

I'm waiting for better weather, I'll be using them in 3 rifles w/9 twist. Maybe Randy will join in, he's shot them in his 20BR and not sure what he said the twist was.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Mr Harold

Have you experimented with N130 or N133 ?

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I'm waiting for better weather, I'll be using them in 3 rifles w/9 twist. Maybe Randy will join in, he's shot them in his 20BR and not sure what he said the twist was.
Ray, my 20BR is barreled with a PacNor 1:11" twist, which, with the 40 GR. BTs, is most excellent: the 204 features a PacNor 1:12" barrel, and shoots them well enough, but, for the 0.685" long BT bullet, is a mathematically weak twist rate. All future barrels will be either 1:10", or, 1:11" twist.

At 4,000 FPS, the darg/twist program at JBC Ballistics, calculates the G1 BC at .304; and the G7 at .117; The Bill Davis Bullet Design program predicts a G1 BC of .293. Out to about 600 Yd., any of these figures should get one "on the paper", but for varmints bigger than prairie dogs, in my opinion/experience, much past 400 Yd., the 40 Gr. bullets lack the energy for DRT. For a 1.5 Sg, the Tioga (Bill Davis) program dictates a 1:10.6" twist rate; the 11" twist imparts 1.4Sg, so, 1:10", or faster, is a very safe bet.

Now that I know better than to treat the .20 Cal like a .30 - that is, the smaller hole needs to be cleaned MUCH more often, I will, once again, shoot some tournaments with the .20 BR this season. For reliable performance, it looks like it needs a good cleaning, at least every 50 rounds or so . . . and for competition, "just to be safe", probably every three matches, or, about 20-25 shots. RG
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Nice one Harold,
I always wondered why I could get 3 touching and then the next 2 left the scene slightly. Now I know... it's been that darned wind all along.
Thanks,Ken.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Harold that is one sweet gun. Must have cost a small forune to build but I bet it is worth every penny.
Bob White in Lake Hopatcong can probably build one for you just like that. I'm guessing around $3400.00 not including scope. Bob runs the BR matches at Cherry Ridge. Nice guy.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Supporting Member

Harold,

Any chance you would try some of that LT-32 with the 32 vmax for us rat shooters???

I would be really curious as to accuracy/velocity.

Also,what is the case volume with the .222 Lapua brass formed to .20VT??

Thanks,

Phil.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Harold.

Phil.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM

would any of you load up some h322 for your 20vt, 32gr buulet? in 2 months i'll be getting one, encore 16 1/4" barrel, and i'm trying really hard to get h4198 and rel 7. i have a stroke, so i'm not able to get alot of money...