Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rem 17 FB

I hope Glenns experience doesn't mean we're getting Rem's version of a MK4 so they can tag their name on it. Reminds me of the Rem6BR and the Norma version . Yea their the same but their not. As for the platform they use Iwould agree with Bob that the 700 SA would just result in another balky feeding sporter. The 799 would make a great platform for one but I might have to wait for the CZ verson. Bottom line is I applaud any big manufacturer that goes out on a limb to introduce a new small caliber. The end result to us will be more bullet choices, abundant brass for wildcatting and soon other manufacturers coming out with better versions of the new chambering, ie CZ, Cooper, Sako, Ruger etc. Yep I could handle a Ruger NO 1 in the new Rem 17 Fireball
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default chuck you are dead spot on

it's not what they chamber it in or what they call it, the bottom line is everyone will have to chamber it or be left behind in the dust. the ruger# 1 is a good example as well as ruger 77, savage, anschutz, browning micro medallion, cooper, Dakota, kimber and sako.
my own personal preference would be a ruger model 7 ss with a 20" barrel or the 799.
I have owned a bunch of the mini mausers chambered in 17 rem, 221 fb and 223, all were tack drivers including the factory chambering. we don't know what standards Remington has placed on the mini mauser as of yet, it may be a little more polished and refined

has anyone seen one yet or know when they are due for release?

here is an example of what a 799 could be, this rifle gave up nothing in accuracy to the coopers i have owned and it was a repeater. the rifle had a mcmillan stock, timney trigger, shilen match barrel and warne rings and bases and was chambered in 17 remington.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM

I hadn't thought much on this before, but I would buy a new rifle chambered for the 5m Rem - if there was such a thing. Otherwise, I guess i'm going to have to buy a .22 Mag.- preobably another Marlin. The last one I had was a light barrel, but it shot sub 1" at 100 yards.
: I do applaud Remington for moving towards a new .17centrefire - but as to changing neck length of the existing wildcat - it's a mistake, I think. The .22/250 and .25/06 didn't get changed, nor did Ken Waters .263 Express get changed when it became the .260 Rem., .35 Whelen, etc. I wonder whose idea that is. So 'new' brass must be bought as in - "look at us, we're bringing in a new .17Centrefire, but you also have to buy new brass from us so we can make even more money" Of course, it won't be long before there is losts of brass other than Remington. (I've had good luck with Rem brass in evey ctg. I've loaded for in the past)
Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Chuck, regarding the Rem6BR & the Norma version...

They are both the same case, and it's a Remington design. That's why you cannot buy 6mm Norma BR dies...but you can buy 6mm BR Remington dies that work for your "6mm BR Norma". I looked deeply into this when I wrote the article for PS titled, "The Virginia Hog Rifle - 1/4" Accuracy or Better". I argued (discussed?) a lot about this with Clay Spencer, but he proved it to me beyond a shadow of a doubt. Basically, Remington designed the case, but everyone gives Norma the credit. Many also think the Lapua case is different, but it's the same as the Remington case.

Ain't this hobby fun?

Cheers, Glenn
Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Supporting Member

[quote=GlennFromVA;1878]
"I had my 17 Mach IV rechambered and the new chamber had a .201 neck instead of the standard .199 neck. About every fifth shot would result in a split neck".

Glenn if I'm not mistaken the standard (if there is one for a wildcat) for the .17 Mach IV neck is .2015. A .199 neck needs neck turning IMO.
As to splitting necks, were these on fireforming cases? If so anealing will help, I always aneal anything coming down from .22 to .17 caliber, on .22 to .20 caliber I've never had a problem even though I frequently aneal any way.
Just a thought.

Last edited by montdoug; 10-30-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:35 PM

Default My 17M4 did not require neck turning...

And I had no problem with the necks until the new reamer opened it to .201. Anyway, I've already started looking for 17 Fireball brass!
Glenn
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Supporting Member

My only concern was one of safety Glenn. An unturned neck in a .221 case from the lot of brass I have formed to .17 MachIV with a bullet seated mic's .199 to .2000 a waiting disaster in a .199 necked rifle unless the necks are turned, even in a .2015 neck it's snug.
I experienced it with a Cooper MachIV when I first got it. I asked if it had a tight neck and they said no so I went shooting. When primers started blowing I took some measurements like I should have done before and just after firing the first round. The necks were going in and coming out either the same or maybe .0005 less. I learned a valuable lesson on that one.
If you find that brass you let me know huh?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Hmmmmm, very interesting.

Doug,

You make a very good point.

When the smith asked me to measure the thickness of the necks on my 221 brass I came up with .012 to .013. He said that this is thinner than the minimum Remington spec of .014. That must be the reason that I had no problems with the .199 chambering.

Thanks for the info!

Best, Glenn
Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah Glenn, the batch I have mics .0135 to as much as .015 depending on which side of which case ya measure (good ole Remington brass, ha-ha).
Makes a good case for eye protection huh? When a Cooper blows a primer it comes straight back through the bolt and in your face. I'm sure a lot of rifles do the same, it's just that Cooper is the one one I have the most experience blowing primers in (stupid me).
I felt like a total dumb bell it took me so long to figure my problem out. Now the first round I fire out of any new rifle gets mic'd right before and immediately after it comes out of the chamber. Gotta catch em while their still warm cause they spring back a thou almost instantly after firing.
Actually I'd like about a .198 neck on my MachIV and then clean up the necks a bit with out thinning em down too much. (Soon maybe, it's been on my mind).
Old 10-30-2006, 10:24 PM

If this .17 fires a 20gr at 4000fps, Thats close to the .17Rem. How slow can you load this with say a 25 or 30gr ? Slowing it down alot with a 30gr berger match bullet would make a sweet fur friendly round for fox and the occational coyote. Any .17MachIV shooters... How low can you load it and still have it perform?