Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Unhappy What's this in my 20vt bore?

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out...

After some pretty big life changes, and my rifles sitting for a few years, things have started to settle down a little. I pulled out my ringer 38 Cooper 20VT and ran a patch through it.

Apparently I didn't clean it after the last time I shot it, which would be the first time in my life that I've done this kind of BS...

So after sitting for 4-5 years, I cleaned it, and noticed I had a sticky spot I couldn't get out very easily. Before I went crazy, I ordered a borescope off Amazon (same one 358Scott posted about, Thanks BTW). Below is what I found...

And finally without the mirror... (ignore the patch fiber sticking up in the picture)

So, having never had a borescope before, I'm hoping to glean some of the collective knowledge around here.

What am I looking at? In the last picture without the mirror, it really looks to me like copper, but I've put multiple rounds of the nastiest copper solvent I've got through it, and gone back to look at the same places afterwards, and can see no change at all.

I'm thinking I ruined the best shooting barrel I've ever had
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM

I doubt it's ruined.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking at, either. But I'd bet some short strokes with JB will make whatever it is disappear.

- DAA
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default surface deposit

I agree with DAA. I don't think it looks like corrosion. Looks more like a surface deposit. Most organics will include impurities that can coalesce and plate out over time - especially if they had something added like powder residue. If a long soak with a solvent like Hoppes #9 hasn't softened it, then I'd probably go the JB route, but I suspect that the underlying metal is fine.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Nothing else in the world can cause you to worry about a perfectly good shooting rifle more than a bore scope can..........

Still, they are a very helpful tool. Like DAA stated, some careful judicious cleaning in that area will likely solve the "problem".

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM

As DAA mentioned, I would use some type of quality bore cleaner as well. By looking at the photo without the mirror, some of it appears to be loose.
Maybe CLR would take it out and then come back and clean as usual to get the CLR out. It doesn't look pitted.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Could be copper. Try some JB bore paste. If it's a stainless barrel, it could still be corrosion. Having said that, if it still shoots, fuggeddaboutit.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:34 PM

After a few years sitting, as you say, it could be one small spot that has corroded or a small area with some rust setting in.
A good bore cleaning, working some JB in that area lightly should work it off or out, the best that it can. Follow it up with some cleaning solutions and then see how it looks with your bore scope. One spot like that should not do much to effect your rifles accuracy. Bill K
Old 11-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Supporting Member

That's what you get for looking with a bore scope!!
Shoot that sucker and see what your target tells you AND, hide that bore scope.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM

Do you use a coated cleaning rod, has it flaked off some coating?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Looks like minor pitting, not going to hurt your accuracy one bit.

Don't look in your other barrels, you'll find more stuff.