Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-12-2022, 04:22 PM

I finally finished forming a batch of 280 Ross cases from 375 Ruger, and turned my attention to forming a 219 DW case using the forming dies I had on hand. I first moved the shoulder back using a 30 Herrett forming die, which happens to also share the same shoulder angle as the 219 DW. Next I ran the case through my two 6 PPC forming dies, then finally into a 22 PPC FL sizing die. I skipped the trimming step, but here is the result:

I'd be glad to form some brass for you, if that would help.

john

Last edited by Johnly; 04-12-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:54 PM

That is a really nice looking case.

I have the 6PPC neck bushing die & .275 bushing on the way and think that with it the CH Form Die set this combo is going to get it done. If not, I will take you up on your generous offer.

The CH Form #0 is really doing a nice job on the shoulder so far. The CH Form #1 is doing a nice job too, it is the CH Form #2 that needs help. Taking it down to .275 with the 6mm Rem Form Trim die as far as it will go the Form #2 is working perfect. If I can get the neck down to .275 all the way to the shoulder I think the Form #2 is going to get 'er done.

I figured that the 6 PPC was going to be almost tailor made as an intermediate die for the 219 DW.

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-12-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:59 AM

So, I’ve got the shoulder collapse problem solved.

I ran one into the 6mm PPC die after the #1 Form die and the #2 Form die now works like a champ. I’m thinking that if I were to buy a five case sample pack from EABco for a sawbuck that I could use them to setup my form dies to the correct shoulder location. Or if someone has a case with a split neck or loose primer pocket they would not miss that would work too //hint hint//

I’m thinking that by the time it takes for us to get the barrel into the Eagle View stub and chamber it that my buddy will have unearthed the 219 DW FL Sizer Die he said he would send my way.

I’ve got a 219 DW case holder jig for my crappy little chop saw and plan to cut this one to length and measure the neck thickness in the next couple days. I’m leaning toward ONT instead of reaming them. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. My inclination is that I would never be seating bullets deeper than I can get to with my Marquardt outside neck turner on this case.

My plan is: the first day Lee will accept a custom order for a Collet Die to get my order in. That will come with a Lee Seating Die that will join the rest of my Lee Seating Dies and never get used because I have a Vickerman .224

I wish they would just make a custom Collet Die w/o the seater die for less money.

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-15-2022 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:28 PM

How crazy is this? I was contacted by a fellow shooter who was given quite a bit of tooling and odds and ends from an estate. He had a set of RCBS 219 DW loading dies and an RCBS 219 DW form set and 99 formed cases “sitting here that I would never in a million years have any use for.”

Even though what he had duplicates the CH form set I had already picked up, I tried go give him $150 for the stuff. Nope, he would not take more than $100 plus what it costs him to send it.
Not that I am a rich man, but c’mon fair is fair and I considered $150 as the bare minimum the stuff is worth.

It shows up today and the 99 cases are brand new EABco and the dies are all in beautiful condition. What is particularly neat is they step the case necks down to different diameters in between what the CH set steps them to.

The RCBS form set is not long enough to get a lock ring on them in an RCII press and I’ll be damned if I am willing to form brass in my Bonanze Coaxe press. So just in case I am missing something I give RCBS a call and explain my situation adding that if I had access to an extended #2 shell holder my problems would be solved. But the #2 extended shell holders have been out of stock for over a year. I ended up borrowing one from a buddy to make up some 357 Herrett brass a while back.

They ask if they can put me on hold, come back in ten minutes and let me know that they found a #2 extended shell holder and it is in the mail to me. Well, let me give you a card number to charge it to. Nope, it’s on us.

There really is a difference in kind, not just degree, how the shooting fraternity functions these days compared to most every other interactions I have familiarity with.

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-20-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:06 PM

This is just another example of how well RCBS has always taken care of fellow shooters. In many years they have always been above board and often just like you, sent items free of charge. Not too many operate that way now days.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
This is just another example of how well RCBS has always taken care of fellow shooters. In many years they have always been above board and often just like you, sent items free of charge. Not too many operate that way now days.
I honestly can't remember the last time that I called RCBS and they charged me for what I needed. That includes the ram and a handle for a Rock Chucker press.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-20-2022, 10:20 PM

When I was a kid and into the 1980s, maybe even into the 90’s, Mr Huntington used to show up at Chet Paulson’s, Warshalls, Washington Hardware or Kesselring Gun Shop frequently. Fred Huntington was always Mr Huntington to me even when I was in my 40s. If anyone ever had a bad word to say about him it is a well kept secret.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:16 PM

Exactly the same atmosphere in the early years with the RCBS store in Oroville, Ca. and it's beginning. Still a good one to enter along with the ajoining store.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:22 AM

Remember that there are 2 different length of 219DW.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showpos...04&postcount=5

Bruce
Old 04-21-2022, 03:47 AM

I intend to use the original, or long, version.

I went downstairs a couple hours ago and used a Hornady Headspace anvil on a caliper and took length measurements from the case head to the .400, .375, .350 & .330 diameter on the shoulder of a few of the EABco cases (which were dead on consistent with each other). These cases are what I intend to use as a template for the cases I form from 30-30.

I’ve been having a lot of fun with this project already. I’m going chuck shooting this coming weekend and for a couple months will be chuck shooting every other weekend or more often and my projects sit and gather dust. I suspect this one will not be much different in that regard than other projects in past years.

Mid June through July I will have some time again. We will probably work on getting the barrel shank turned down, threaded and into the Eagle View stub in late June and by then I expect that I will have found a good gunsmith who has the right reamer to chamber the barrel. That is probably where it will sit until winter and I get back on it. I’ll work through about getting 400 pieces of brass made and fit the extractor in my spare time, but until after big game season there just isn’t a lot of spare time around here after mid August.