Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-27-2022, 11:25 PM

Default VT

I agree that the Vartarg is an excellent choice for rat shooting!! I am a short ranger, I like to watch them fly, thus the FB may be a better option for me. Had one particular flying Squirrel at 150 yards that was behind a bit of wheat stubble at 150 yards and sent him flying at least 15 feet in the air and as much to the side. I just feel the Fireball has the best combination of splatibility and still can take almost continuous shooting. There is not a wrong answer. Like a dummy I sold all my Vartarg brass but if I can find some more I may take along a Vartarg next year. Seems that 222 brass is more available so I may try an 20 Bobcat? Weaver seems to think they are the cat's meow

Last edited by Gale Johnson; 04-27-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:22 AM

That Rick, is one beautiful picture. Thanks and you are correct it is time. I just need the wind to settle down in this neck of the woods and it will be better.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Love to see something decent in 17 WSM because here we may have the chance to do some long term control work and it could be the ticket in a top notch rifle.
They're a little pricey but if you're looking for a high quality 17 WSM Primal Rights sells the TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM and they seem to have them pretty well dialed in. They appear to shoot and function very well. https://www.primalrights.com/rimx

For high volume sage rat shooting it's hard to beat 17HMR and 17WSM. I prefer the 17 WSM over my 17 HMR's but the HMR is no slouch. A close third place would be 17 Hornet.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
They're a little pricey but if you're looking for a high quality 17 WSM Primal Rights sells the TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM and they seem to have them pretty well dialed in. They appear to shoot and function very well. https://www.primalrights.com/rimx

For high volume sage rat shooting it's hard to beat 17HMR and 17WSM. I prefer the 17 WSM over my 17 HMR's but the HMR is no slouch. A close third place would be 17 Hornet.
Enjoy my HMR and Hornet, but the one that gets top billing, for me, is my 17 Fire ball, cover everything and more of what the others do, very well.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:34 PM

[quote=B23;303018]They're a little pricey but if you're looking for a high quality 17 WSM Primal Rights sells the TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM and they seem to have them pretty well dialed in. They appear to shoot and function very well. https://www.primalrights.com/rimx

Couldn’t do it, Bolt knob reminds me of:
Old 04-28-2022, 06:21 PM
Supporting Member

[quote=B23;303018]They're a little pricey but if you're looking for a high quality 17 WSM Primal Rights sells the TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM and they seem to have them pretty well dialed in. They appear to shoot and function very well. https://www.primalrights.com/rimx [Quote/]

[quote=JDHasty;303020]

[Quote/]

Hey, we live in the tacticool age where having an overly big "shifter nob" on the "build" that we are "running" at the moment, all attached to an aluminum "chassis", is a requirement for earning our tacticool sergeant stripes.............

I too dislike larger than normal bolts handles, etc. on what could be an otherwise sleek, slick, and functional hunting rifle.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-28-2022 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling..............
Old 04-28-2022, 07:05 PM

It is all in the eye of the beholder fellows. We all have different tastes and wants. Would be quite boring if we all had the same thing.
One reason the ladies come with blonde, auburn, black, red and other shades of hair color.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:54 PM

[quote=Bayou City Boy;303028][quote=B23;303018]They're a little pricey but if you're looking for a high quality 17 WSM Primal Rights sells the TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM and they seem to have them pretty well dialed in. They appear to shoot and function very well. https://www.primalrights.com/rimx [Quote/]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post

[Quote/]

Hey, we live in the tacticool age where having an overly big "shifter nob" on the "build" that we are "running" at the moment, all attached to an aluminum "chassis", is a requirement for earning our tacticool sergeant stripes.............

I too dislike larger than normal bolts handles, etc. on what could be an otherwise sleek, slick, and functional hunting rifle.

JMO - BCB
One of my favorite examples of the latter is the thread on a local tacticool site titled "Which Sleeping Bag Are You Running?"
Old 04-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
It is all in the eye of the beholder fellows. We all have different tastes and wants. Would be quite boring if we all had the same thing.
One reason the ladies come with blonde, auburn, black, red and other shades of hair color.
I chose a red haired lady years ago and I have stayed with my choice. I still find her charming and in no way boring from my perspective versus the field.

If I never see an internet tactocoll rifle again, my life won't be boring. And none of my rifles are boringly "the same thing". Not even the small herd of AR-15 rifles that I own. (notice that I didn't say "run") ymmv, however.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 PM

[quote=Bayou City Boy;303034]I chose a red haired lady years ago and I have stayed with my choice. I still find her charming and in no way boring from my perspective versus the field.

exactly my point, we all choose what we want and enjoy. If it fits our needs, then nothing becomes boring.
However if we all choose the same thing, then it could, in time. we all enjoy different likes and dislikes, which is the way it should be.