Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-28-2022, 09:32 PM

Depends what your goal is. Best varies on that on that tidbit of info.

If your after pure numbers of dead ones (like when I get paid to shoot) it’s the 17HMR on a good bolt action.
-cheapest ammo in regards to performance
-excellent factory ammo (don’t have to spend time reloading)
-superb barrel life

Guys will argue for the 22 for this but it’s a waste when you have targets from 10-150yrds.

If your after good barrel life, great ballistics and good factory ammo the 17hornet on a cz527.

I used to be all in the wildcat camp but for as much as I shoot I like a standard factory cartridge. Pain in the butt to be somewhere and realize you grabbed the wrong box of custom reloads.

Fireball, Vartarg, etc all work well but again it’s what your end result goal is.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

In my experience. A Suppress would give you a great advantage, regardless the caliber ! I seen too many dogs dive for cover after hearing that first blast from a 22-250 !
The rounds need to be inexpensive ! Now days nothing is cheap to shoot !
A simple scope with good optics, Makes it fun and rewarding when you make that cross wind shot, that none of your buddies could make, with their high tech gear !
I always single load my center fires, but a 17 HMR with an easy to load, 10 rd clip ? Is about as good as it gets ! The time it saves at the reloading bench, is hard to beat !

My old Savage 94 HB, topped with a 3x9 Leopold, has been pure fun. Yes there are better combinations and definitely better guns out there !

Jim
Old 04-29-2022, 09:33 PM

[quote=458win;303036]Depends what your goal is. Best varies on that on that tidbit of info.
ammo (don’t have to spend time reloading)
-superb barrel life

Guys will argue for the 22 for this but it’s a waste when you have targets from 10-150yrds.

If your after good barrel life, great ballistics and good factory ammo the 17hornet on a cz527.

Pretty well agree, I too love my wildcats and still use various one's. But in the 10-150 yr range a 17HMR or 17WSM work just fine also.
And I do have a 17 Hornet, 17FB which I like super well. BIll K