Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2022, 09:51 PM

Default Anyone got any experience with Winchester Model 43

I have a barreled action sitting on my bench that has a replacement 1:14 chambered in 22 Hornet heavy barrel on it. It was gifted to me by a friend (retired gunsmith) who cannot see well enough to complete the project.

I have a new replacement stock found and am wondering if anyone has any hints on bedding the barrel and action into the stock.

There is a round stud on the barrel like a factory barrel, but appears to have no recoil lug.

My inclination is to put pillars in the stock and bed it tight to that stud on the barrel and tight to the action but not the magazine well and tight to the barrel for about an inch or two in front of the stud and float the rest of the barrel.

Don’t know much about them, but it looks like it isn’t going to be that complicated. If anyone has experience with the Model 43, if there is anything I am missing I would appreciate your experience.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:24 PM

The fact that it has a 14 twist barrel is in your favor.... assuming the bore/rifling dimensions are for a 22 center fire and not a 22RF, that is.

With the receiver modified to take two action screws and pillar bedded, they can be pretty accurate.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 05-03-2022, 01:26 AM

It is a good stiff 22 CF barrel. Tapers to about .72 at the muzzle and is about 20 inches in length. The guy that installed the barrel does a real good job. It should be minimum chamber if history is anything to go by. It was a good blank, just don’t remember who made it. I’ve got a stock and reproduction but plate and screws on the way and everything else looks geat, except I need to make a couple pins for the extractors. All the rest of the parts are complete. Looks like I should have it up and running in a couple weeks. I’ve got a pin gauge set and should be able to source the correct diameter pin stock from McMaster Carr.

What is really nice is the screw heads are not all buggered up.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05-03-2022 at 02:46 AM.