Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-17-2022, 03:53 AM

Default Model 43 Winchester 218 Bee

My favorite little LGS called me today. They acquired a Model 43 as part of a trade that has a lot of corrosion damage on the exterior, and the stock has been altered… but it’s complete and the bore looks very nice, as good or better than any other 43 that has actually been used a bit.

They said that as soon as they saw it a couple of the employees thought of me right off the bat. So, I went down and took a look and the corrosion is indicative of guns that have been on fishing boats, but isn’t that deep. I think they are put in a soft case while wet. It is confined to the barrel and the action locks up tight. So, I ask: what do you need to get out of it? $250, was the answer.

It is a later one, factory drilled and tapped for scope mounting. We will pull the barrel and dress it up on the barrel spinner then polish the muzzle around the front sight base by hand and the rest of the parts will only need wet-n-dry sand paper on sanding blocks to clean them up. The metal butt plate and trigger guard are in really nice condition.

I’ll probably go a hundred on a stock from Gunville, or perhaps add fifty and get something with a bit of figure, and a buck fifty for a second original magazine. We have plenty of brass & dies for our Model 65, so this was pretty much an easy call.

My Model 43 Hornet project has been a lot of fun, this one should be as well. I think we will get a kick out of having a pair of Model 43s to take out and shoot 150-200 yard chucks with.

It’s going to lose what is left of the roll stamping on the barrel, but other than that it should clean up really nicely. I’m OK with that, given that I won’t have that much in it other than my time and the more it keeps me occupied the better is how I feel about that.

Last edited by JDHasty; 08-17-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

as you probably know you can't hotrod a 43 due to action/ bolt strength. i have owned a few model 43 in both calibers. all were 1-1.25" shooters. even owned one in 17 Ackley bee and it was a .50 shooter, sounds like a neat project, enjoy.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
My favorite little LGS called me today. They acquired a Model 43 as part of a trade that has a lot of corrosion damage on the exterior, and the stock has been altered… but it’s complete and the bore looks very nice, as good or better than any other 43 that has actually been used a bit.

They said that as soon as they saw it a couple of the employees thought of me right off the bat. So, I went down and took a look and the corrosion is indicative of guns that have been on fishing boats, but isn’t that deep. I think they are put in a soft case while wet. It is confined to the barrel and the action locks up tight. So, I ask: what do you need to get out of it? $250, was the answer.

It is a later one, factory drilled and tapped for scope mounting. We will pull the barrel and dress it up on the barrel spinner then polish the muzzle around the front sight base by hand and the rest of the parts will only need wet-n-dry sand paper on sanding blocks to clean them up. The metal butt plate and trigger guard are in really nice condition.

I’ll probably go a hundred on a stock from Gunville, or perhaps add fifty and get something with a bit of figure, and a buck fifty for a second original magazine. We have plenty of brass & dies for our Model 65, so this was pretty much an easy call.

My Model 43 Hornet project has been a lot of fun, this one should be as well. I think we will get a kick out of having a pair of Model 43s to take out and shoot 150-200 yard chucks with.

It’s going to lose what is left of the stamping on the barrel, but other than that it should clean up really nicely. I’m OK with that, given that I won’t have that much in it other than my time and the more it keeps me occupied the better is how I feel about that.
JD, take plenty of pictures "before & after" then post them here for show & tell! Sounds like a great project - good luck.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:03 PM
Supporting Member

I love the Model 43s. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this project.

My .218 Bee and .22 Hornet:

Old 08-17-2022, 05:29 PM

Agree. Photos of it before, during and after restoration would be very nice.
But remember do not push the pressure on those actions.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:13 PM

I couldn't get the 43 in 22 Hornet to extract w/o taking the barrel off. I shot about 60 rounds through it and managed a couple groups just over half an inch. A friend has the barrel and action at his place and is working on that. Once it will extract it's looking like it is going to be a fun little rifle.

This 218 Bee should keep me entertained fixing it up. There is absolutely no reason to ever hotrod either of them. We have plenty of other Hornets. Other than it is going to require me to take the roll stamping on the barrel off to clean up the corrosion this one should end up pretty much looking like it started out as when I get through with it.

Last edited by JDHasty; 08-18-2022 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I couldn't get the 43 in 22 Hornet to extract w/o taking the barrel off. I shot about 60 round through it and managed a couple groups just over half an inch. A friend has the barrel an action at his place and is working on that. Once it will extract it's looking like it is going to be a fun little rifle.

This 218 Bee should keep me entertained fixing it up. There is absolutely no reason to ever hotrod either of them. We have plenty of other Hornets. Other than it is going to require me to take the stamping on the barrel off to clean up the corrosion this one should end up pretty much looking like it started out as when I get through with it.
Sounds good, but lets see some photos. And by the way, did you find or take any new photos of the shelfs your were going to show us and your set up, from a preivious thread ?
Old 08-17-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Sounds good, but lets see some photos. And by the way, did you find or take any new photos of the shelfs your were going to show us and your set up, from a preivious thread ?
I have yet to get set up with a photo hosting site. Once I get that accomplished I will be back to posting photos.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I have yet to get set up with a photo hosting site. Once I get that accomplished I will be back to posting photos.
In the mean time, use the photo/album site here. Check the top line to use, very easy to post them on the album site in your album set up.

Look under community and photo/album, click on and post your photos.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:21 AM

I picked up a really nice original 43 barrel today in 22 Hornet. I’m thinking the bolt face may be the same and I can just swing this barrel on and call it good. It will likely need to be timed and it could be we have to set the barrel back one thread and run a Hornet chamber reamer in, but that would be better than setting it back a couple threads and rechambering it to 218 Bee. I have a bottle of Hornet extractors.

Last edited by JDHasty; 08-19-2022 at 01:02 AM.